Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

MyLinks Database Version

(Page 2 of 5)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] MyLinks Database Version In reply to
Hi Paul

It will be extra nice and useful if the admin/user can make the users links pages available to the other users to view without the ability to modify..

Also if the public links page can have all the users tables fields available in it.. so the user can somewhat customize it.

That will be great idea to share links among friends and non friends in a customized page.
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

I'm giving your DB MyLinks a spin on my site and would like to say you've done a great job!

Although I have a quick query about the way links are stored. Can the LinkIDs of the stored listings be combined into one table which is then associated with the one UserID?

I just added three listings to MyLinks and had the username appear in the MyLinks table three times, with one link ID next to each username:

UserID | LinkID
test | 514
test | 562
test | 563

I'm currently using PortalLinks 2.0 (because I haven't released my Links SQL version until it's completely setup). I have 1,900+ registered users, with some users having as many as 300 - 400 stored links and I'm concerned my database will get bloated with duplicate UserID fields in the MyLinks table.

Is it possible to store the LinkIDs in the one field which is connected to the UserID? Eg:

UserID | LinkID
test | 514,562,563
anotheruser | 562,888,965,35
somebody | 563,335

Sorry, I can't get the text to line up. Smile I've used a | to separate the fields.

Thanks in Advance,
Amanda

Last edited by:

Evoken: Mar 20, 2002, 8:58 PM
Quote Reply
Two queries
Presumably ...

1. Spanning = 2 is configurable?
2. It works equally well on static pages?

One suggestion
The "Link Added" page should be a popup, so users don't have to backtrack.
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] MyLinks Database Version In reply to
>>
It will be extra nice and useful if the admin/user can make the users links pages available to the other users to view without the ability to modify..

Also if the public links page can have all the users tables fields available in it.. so the user can somewhat customize it.
<<

How about if I got it to build pages for lists specified by admin?....for example you enter

joebloggs
fred

....in a textarea and it builds static pages for those lists?

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 21, 2002, 1:55 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [YoYoYoYo] MyLinks Database Version In reply to
>>
Two queries
Presumably ...

1. Spanning = 2 is configurable?
2. It works equally well on static pages?

One suggestion
The "Link Added" page should be a popup, so users don't have to backtrack.
<<

Spanning...yes....click "Edit" after installing the plugin.

Im not sure what you mean about static pages?....

You can change the link added page to a popup by making a simple template change. You could put a javascript popup in the add success template and redirect it to mylinks.cgi using location.href ....that should work as you require.
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoken] MyLinks Database Version In reply to
>>I'm giving your DB MyLinks a spin on my site and would like to say you've done a great job! <<

Thanks Cool

As for the other question....I thought it may pop up. I've done something like this in the past using commas instead of new rows but apparently it goes against the whole idea of using an sql database.

Rows are there to be used so cramping everything into one row isn't such a good idea and less manageable.

Tables have a 2GB limit so 1600 users won't get anywhere near that limit.

If you take a look at the catlinks table it is done in a similar way:

LinkID CategoryID
1 1
2 1
3 1
4 1
5 1
6 1
7 1
8 1
9 1
10 1
11 1
12 1

....the only reason I use a name instead of id for UserID is because the users table doesn't use an ID

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 21, 2002, 1:30 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
... static pages for those lists?

You mean each user could have a static page?
That is a terrific idea!

User Favorites pages could be rebuilt independently of the main build, (ie: more often), or just when favorites are added or deleted.

Maybe have space for personal or other info ...

Why not make it a default for all users who set Favorites? The Admin list should be a ban list for users who fool about.
Quote Reply
>>
User Favorites pages could be rebuilt independently of the main build, (ie: more often), or just when favorites are added or deleted.
<<

Yeah I'd make a seperate script for building the pages.

>>
Why not make it a default for all users who set Favorites? The Admin list should be a ban list for users who fool about.
<<

I guess that would be better yes.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 21, 2002, 2:02 AM
Quote Reply
Hi

Actually building pages will be a waste of space I would like to it be dyanamic if possible..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Ok we need some agreement here ....before I go to the trouble of making it build pages (which isn't an easy task) is it worth it?

Im tempted by the dynamic option and maybe have a searchable directory of users lists?

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 21, 2002, 2:57 AM
Quote Reply
Thanks to your prompt reply to my earlier comment - I guess your right about defeating the purpose of an SQL database, my main concern was saving space. I've only got 200Mb of space, so I was trying to think of a way of limiting the size of the sql database for MyLinks - especially when some of my users will store hundreds of links. Never the less, I think your SQL DB adaption of this script is awesome. I'll just have to fork out for the extra space when the time comes!

As for the static vs dynamic MyLinks pages, I think the dynamic version is much more useful. Static pages will take up a lot of storage space, and it sort of defeats the purpose of having an interactive function if the user has to wait until the directory is updated/re-built until their new and removed links are updated. This also won't be much good for those who use a shared server and don't have the resources to build the directory multiple times a day.
Quote Reply
Ok I think I'll start with the dynamic version and may make the static building optional in a future release.

Im working on it now so will show a demo when I get that far :)
Quote Reply
Ok I've put up the demo of the viewable user favorites....you can check it out here:

http://www.wiredon.net/...do=user_list&d=1

There is an admin option so you can stop certain user lists being shown if they request that or you just want to be mean and block their list :)

You can see that by clicking "Admin" which is blocked.

I've updated the plugin on the GT server too so you can now dowlnoad the updated version.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 21, 2002, 6:05 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
... it sort of defeats the purpose of having an interactive function if the user has to wait until the directory is updated/re-built until their new and removed links are updated ...

Is there any reason why the static page could not be re-built when a link is added or deleted? The program has to make some kind of page -- why not offer the option of dynamic or static?

Static pages would mean much less work for the server if these pages are available to other people.

Last edited by:

YoYoYoYo: Mar 21, 2002, 7:57 AM
Quote Reply
>>
Is there any reason why the static page could not be re-built when a link is added or deleted?
<<

You mean everytime someone added a favorite?

Eek....that would probably end up being more stressful for the server than doing it dynamically.
Quote Reply
Hi Paul

As A matter of fact the demo you have is just what I asked for ..
Dynamic is the best way to go for the server, space wise and headache..
Two questions ..
1- Does the user or the admin has the option to make a specific users links page visible to public or not?
2- Does the users's links page has all the users table field available in it?

THis plug in looks really good and well done Paul..
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
>>
1- Does the user or the admin has the option to make a specific users links page visible to public or not?
<<

Currently only admin. If a user doesn't want it viewable they'll need to ask admin to block it. I think a user option should be added too but Im wodering where to set the option. I think it would need to go into the users table so I'd have to get the plugin to add a new column.

Shouldn't be too tricky...I'll have a play about later tonight or in the morning.

>>
2- Does the users's links page has all the users table field available in it?
<<

Oh poop. It will do when I make it do so Blush

mmm the user list page does though. It uses a loop so you can add extra columns to the list like <%Email%> if you so desire.
Quote Reply
Ok those two issues are fixed. All info from the users table is available on the user favorites page and users can now decide whether they want to hide or show their list. You won't see it on the demo as I did it on my local copy.

I've updated it on GT's server.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 21, 2002, 11:59 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

I had a question here...nice job on the plugin btw!

I have a directory with people listed alphabetically and by area. When you add someone to your directory, they get listed twice because of the multiple categories. Is their a way around this?
Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
Hi Paul

I will gey this plug in up and running tonight and will let you know of any issues in it..
From what I have seen so far you should have a lot of buyers..
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Just a quick question, is there a way to break down the links into two or three columns on each page instead of a list??

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Ok, now that you've put a list of user's favorites :) there must be a way to distenguish between what's good and what's not. So visitors should be able to evaluate the users favorite list (1-10)
Quote Reply
Re: [stilton] MyLinks Database Version In reply to
>>
I have a directory with people listed alphabetically and by area. When you add someone to your directory, they get listed twice because of the multiple categories. Is their a way around this?
<<

Hi, could you explain a bit more, Im not sure I understand why they duplicate.
Quote Reply
Re: [Kilroy] MyLinks Database Version In reply to
>>
Just a quick question, is there a way to break down the links into two or three columns on each page instead of a list??
<<

Hmm not easily. The easiest way would probably be to use a loop and then check how many iterations have occured and then add in a new table row but it doesn't currently use a loop.

I'll try and think of a way but no promises.
Quote Reply
Re: [Essam] MyLinks Database Version In reply to
>>
Ok, now that you've put a list of user's favorites :) there must be a way to distenguish between what's good and what's not. So visitors should be able to evaluate the users favorite list (1-10)
<<

The price will be rocketing up with all these features Wink j/k

I'll see what I can do.
> > > >