MyLinks Database Version

(Page 3 of 5)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] MyLinks Database Version In reply to
I've updated wiredon with the latest version. Changes include:

Show/Hide list to the public
Users can now rate lists 1-10
There is some IP tracking to prevent rating abuse....not fool proof but annoying enough to limit abuse.
A few new templates and some minor changes to existing ones.

http://www.wiredon.net/...in/lsql/page.cgi?d=1

You can click "User List" or "MyLinks" in the menu bar. User List doesn't require you to be logged in.

I just found a "bug" ish type thing when rating which means you need to be logged in but I am going to make that into a feature :) ....Im going to add an admin option so that ratings can either be allowed only from logged in users or anyone. After adding that change I'll update it on GT's server.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 22, 2002, 3:23 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] MyLinks Database Version In reply to
Hi Paul

one more thing..

Can you make grouping the links by category or alphabetical optional so the user have a choice in the way he/she view and group his/her links..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Do you mean that it should always group but by category id or alphabetical ....if you mean this, what is grouping alphabetically?...by letter?

_or_

It should group by category or not group and list alphabetically?

Both ways are pretty tricky. The script selects from the mylinks table which only stores the user id and link id and then pushes everything into a big hash and then does the selecting from the links table.

Im fairly certain I will have to make quite a few changes. I'll give it a go though and see what I can come up with.

Hmmm Unsure

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 22, 2002, 3:40 AM
Quote Reply
In my directory, I have a link using multiple categories. The first category all links are listed under is alphabetically. The next category everyone is listed under is the area they live. Everyone falls under two categories minimum. If you add a person to your favorites, they are listed twice. Once under the alphabetical category, and once under the area category.

Home : City : Garner
  • Doe, John new pop
    This is a test name in the directory

(Added: 2002-03-20 Hits: 1 Rating: 0.00 Votes: 0) rate review delete send

Home : Alphabetical : D
  • Doe, John new pop
    This is a test name in the directory
    (Added: 2002-03-20 Hits: 1 Rating: 0.00 Votes: 0) rate review delete send

Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
Re: [stilton] MyLinks Database Version In reply to
Ohhh.

I'll test that out and see what I can do.
Quote Reply
Hello

what i meant is having a choice:

Alphabetical by letter

or by category.
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
I can do alphabetical or grouped by category but not grouped by letter (well I could but it would be a real major pain in the proverbial ass).

I shot myself in the foot giving this to you lot for $40 Smile
Quote Reply
Hi

Alphabetical or grouped by category is what I am talking about it will be a tools to ease the navigation for users.

The group by letter is a cool feature but has no importnat use i can see..

----------------------------------------------------

I shot myself in the foot giving this to you lot for $40 Smile

-----------------------------------------------------

If you do not someone else might since you will become a rich man collecting that much money.. You know $ 40 is 4000 cents.. lol Wink
Regards
KaTaBd

Last edited by:

katabd: Mar 22, 2002, 7:27 AM
Quote Reply
>>If you do not someone else might since you will become a rich man collecting that much money..<<

I did think there would be a high interest but I've only had about 12 people signup for the demo...maybe that means nothing.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 22, 2002, 9:37 AM
Quote Reply
Haven't heard from Alex in awhile, actually :) Very busy. <G>

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] MyLinks Database Version In reply to
Sorry?
Quote Reply
Hi Paul

If we get the users modify plug in working..

With those two plug ins you can turns Links SQL around a very cool product that will attract tons of people to your site..

The idea is in my head and when we get the users modify plug in up I will finish the few customizations i have and let you know what I am thinking of...

BTW 12 people in three days is a good start (make that 13) i will be paying you very soon.. unless you still wanna give it to me free.. Crazy
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
>>
If we get the users modify plug in working..

With those two plug ins you can turns Links SQL around a very cool product that will attract tons of people to your site..
<<

Earlier on I added a few user options to the mylinks plugin, I could keep going and allow users to edit their profile, or would you prefer a seperate plugin for that?

>>BTW 12 people in three days is a good start (make that 13)<<

I was hoping for about 12,000 Laugh ....hmm 12,000 x 40 .....droooool

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 22, 2002, 10:15 AM
Quote Reply
Hi paul

If the same plug in will allow people to edit their profile with all the users table fields available in the users favoriates page that will be great.

(if we finish the plug in in the way I am thinking of - which is very close- I will give you an advertising gift..! on top of your money)
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
>>
If the same plug in will allow people to edit their profile with all the users table fields available in the users favoriates page that will be great.
<<

I dont want to have to force people to buy the plugin to use the profile editing feature. I think I should make them seperate.

>>
(if we finish the plug in in the way I am thinking of - which is very close- I will give you an advertising gift..! on top of your money)
<<

Thanks! ....Im also open to donations to help me ever closer to being a millionaire :) .....Im currently a thousandaire Smile
Quote Reply
In Reply To:

<<I dont want to have to force people to buy the plugin to use the profile editing feature. I think I should make them seperate. >> That will be fine
<<..... Im currently a thousandaire >> Then I think you can join our club..
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Hi Paul

When are you gonna update the files on the GT server to include the rating option?

And how would you like to arrange the payment ? I finished customizing your script and I wanna make it public soon, but would like to pay you for it so i will not feel like I am using something I do not have the right to..

Please let me know..

BTW : Very very nice work..
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Hi,

I just need to finish the user options I was adding and then I'll update it.

It will be today.

For the payment, just send a blank email to mylinks@wiredon.net

When you download the updated version remember to backup your templates as you'll need to extract the updated ones.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 23, 2002, 1:55 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've finished all the updates and have uploaded it to GT's server.

Attached is a screen shot of what the user preferences page looks like.

Users can set the number of links per page, grouping options and ordering options.

It is officially the mothership of plugins (apart from GT's spider Laugh) so go gentle on me if you find any bugs Angelic

....oh nearly forgot, when you enter your admin page after installing the plugin, under "Quick Links" you'll see a new option..."MyLinks Users"...which links to the user list.

oops also admin can set whether just members or members and guests can rate lists.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 23, 2002, 6:08 AM
Quote Reply
Latest demo:

http://www.wiredon.net/...in/lsql/page.cgi?d=1
Quote Reply
Hi Paul

Look real nice..
One small THING
When the user selects No Grouping it will apply that to the user main page but not to the user public page.
I have not look into that yet.. but I think it is A MINOR BUG.
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Hi,

No it isn't a bug, I made it like that on purpose so that all user pages appear the same to people viewing them. I set it to group by category so that visitors could go to the category the link came from if they wished.

The only time is shows in a customized way is when the owner is logged in to their own personal account.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 23, 2002, 9:16 AM
Quote Reply
Hi
what should I do to change that?
or can we use No group in the public page then use the display the parent categor below the link through a Mylinks_link variable?
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Do you think I should change it for the proper plugin?

I thought a standardized page for visitors would be the way to go or should I get it to display the links the way it shows for the list owner?

I can always send you the altered copy if people want it left as it is.
Quote Reply
Hi
I have seen that users love to have control over the look of their pages more than carring about the look of the site that offers them the service itself.
So I think the option of sorting the public links should be up to them.
In addition most regular users will be checking their links from public compyters and they might not wanna log in.. so seeing their links sorted the way they want to is appreciated.

Just what I think
Regards
KaTaBd

> > > >