Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : MySQLMan :

Upgrading to MySQL 4

Quote Reply
Upgrading to MySQL 4
Hi

We'll be upgrading our database servers from 3.x to 4.1 over the new few days. Are there any issues with MySQLMan? Do we need to upgrade MySQLMan to a later, if there is one available, version?

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Upgrading to MySQL 4 In reply to
Should work fine. I'm almost definate that my current host uses MySQL 4, and I havn't come across any problems with running it.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Upgrading to MySQL 4 In reply to
Ha I've found several issues using perl DBI. Some things may start to break and I've encounted unexplained problems with mysqlman (see my previous posts). PHP also has issues. Make sure you upgrade or get the right mysql libs for both the perl DBD drivers and PHP if you are using them. I think mysql are shipping some compability libs they didn;t ship before (libso9.so or whatever it was just dissapeared in version 4 and broke a heap of 3.xx utilities .... you'll find out soon enough if you need them).

eg a tip if you are using perl/DBI the syntax to get the value of the last inserted ID of an autoinc field is:

$sth->{mysql_insertid} and not $sth->{insertid} which was acceptable previoulsy. Small things like this can drive you crazy!

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

regards doug
Quote Reply
Re: [dougrobb] Upgrading to MySQL 4 In reply to
Well, we've done the upgrade through apt-get on Debian and that should have theoretically taken care of any dependencies. We'll see.

It's been a week or so now and everything seems to be working OK. MySQLMan is fine. PHPMyAdmin is fine and all our database applications are OK. We're running a handful, maybe seven or eight sites based on a MySQL backend/front end custom coded in Perl, and yes, using DBI.

- wil