Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Links SQL
Howdy -- the requirements for Community here at gossamer-threads.com didn't make this clear: does Community require LinksSQL?
Quote Reply
Re: [AS] Links SQL In reply to
Yes, it does require LinksSQL. Gossamer Community is simply an 'intermeditory', that links most of GT products together (GForum, LinksSQL, and I'm not sure what else). It basically means that you have one centralised login and signup URL, so you don't have to signup 3,4 or even 5 times :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Links SQL In reply to
I see. Thanks. Two more questions:

(1) can Community be accessed remotely to control logging in to a third party application (mine), and
(2) is there a whitepaper about Community that I can read?
Quote Reply
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to those questions. May be better to get a reply from GT about this one.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
What's the best way to go about doing that?
Quote Reply
You could try waiting for a reply; or if you are in a rush to get a reply (which I doubt you will get til Monday morning, Canadian time), you could try emailing sales@gossamer-threads.com, and asking them :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
All right. I'll wait.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I see. Thanks. Two more questions:

(1) can Community be accessed remotely to control logging in to a third party application (mine), and

i had try to do that.

now my community link to movabletype,and manage the account of movabletype.

next time, will do access login into movabletype.

my MSN: perlchina_at_hotmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote:
Howdy -- the requirements for Community here at gossamer-threads.com didn't make this clear: does Community require LinksSQL?

Actually, no, it doesn't require Links SQL. It can be installed by itself, but won't be much use without some of our applications. However, you can use it to centralize Gossamer Forum and Gossamer Mail for instance, it doesn't have to be Links SQL.

Quote:

Is the application on the same server? If so, then it's very easy to integrate the authentication with Community. If you install Community and do a `perldoc Community.pm` you'll see an easy to use API for accessing the user database, authenticating and session handling.

Quote:

Not at this time, no. Best thing for developers is to do a perldoc of Community.pm. If you have any other questions, don't hestiate to ask.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Links SQL In reply to
Thanks Alex.

I am interested in using Community (or something) to have one login database that's used to authenticate for both Gossamer Forums and for my application, where the application and the forums run on different servers that may be thousands of miles apart. Is this feasible?

By "session management" do you mean web site session management?

One suggestion: it would be nice the result of "perldoc Community.pm" could be viewed at your web site. This would be helpful for people like me who are investigating Community in a pre-sales situation and would like to look at the documentation without having to install it. In fact, I once tried to install the beta version of Community, and had some problems, so I gave up on Community for the time being because it was too difficult to find information about it. If the documentation were online I could have gotten a better understanding of Community's capabilities.