Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

chmod more than one at a time?

Quote Reply
chmod more than one at a time?
The host uses v1 of Fileman and I have to chmod 3000 files in one directory (the files currently have 000 permissions). The host allows no shell access.

Should I:

1) download the free version of v2 and install it (will it do multiple chmods in one click?)

2) modify the Perl for v1 (anyone have a quick hack I can put in for this?)

3) ask the host to do the chmod for me?

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: [mikihasa] chmod more than one at a time? In reply to
Hi,

If you want to know how FileMan 2 works, let take a look at: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...fileman2/fileman.cgi
Also, you can download the free single user version of FileMan 2 at: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/fileman/download.htm

Cheers,
TheStone.

B.

Last edited by:

TheStone: Dec 31, 2001, 9:37 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Definately get v2. You can click one button to select all files, then click on chmod, enter your permissions and your done.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] chmod more than one at a time? In reply to
Well, I downloaded v2 and the install went great.

I see how I can select multiple files, which will be very helpful.

HOWEVER...

With the new version, I can't chmod files that have 000 permissions. The little check boxes are greyed out on the files with those permissions.

It looked promising...any other ideas?

Michael
Quote Reply
Ok, so I tried v2 in Netscape and the check boxes are not greyed out. I guess IE was too smart for my own good. Netscape's browser must not be as smart. :-)

HOWEVER...

It still won't let me chmod them for some reason. I am guessing that it is because the permissions are 000. Strange, the older version of fileman let me do this (albeit one at a time).

Is that a good thing? How can I add this "feature" (chmod files that have no permissions) to the v2 fileman? Is that a security risk at all? As long as I am the owner it should be ok to set permissions on my own files--even if they are 000 to begin with, right?

Michael
Quote Reply
Ok, (duh) I used the command line feature with a wildcard (e.g. chmod 755 *.cgi) and it made the permissions changes.

Yay!

It would have been painful waiting for all those checkboxes to appear for 3000 files, anyway.

Thanks for providing me with this nice software.

Michael