Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Pathing & Permissions

Quote Reply
Pathing & Permissions
I installed the software with relative ease. However, I have discovered 2 problems...

1) I must of had the wrong path when I set up the first category. because all of my paths to the cgi-bin have the wrong path:

mysite.net/cgi-bin/links/admin/????.html are being pathed as
mysite.net/cgi-bin/admin/????.html (missing the added "links" directory. I have checked the links,cfg & made certain the are correct. However, I finally had to change the path in my index.html
Now, when I click on any link at the top of the pages ("what's New, Add", etc.) I have the wrong path. I was able to edit the html in my index.html(which I named links.html prior to knowing that the software would do that for all) That workd for the main page. Do I have to do this for all the links?

Also, I noticed that I do not have permission to access the forst catagory that I created. The path seems to be incorrect, yet the file pathing was created properly in the Links 2.0 Administration Menu. See below:

Links Manager: Building Pages
Building Pages
Pages built on 31-Mar-2001 at 22:44:04
--------------------------------------------------------

Backing up database . . .
Backup exists for today.. Skipping
Done.

Building URL Index . . .
Done.

Updating New and Popular Records . . .
What's New Cutoff: 14 days
Popular Cutoff: 2 hits
Updating record: 1, marking as new.
Done.

Updating ratings ..
Done.

Loading Category Information . . .
Done.

Gathering Category and Link information . . .
Done

Generating detailed view pages . . .
Making Directory (511): '/home/?????/www/links/Detailed' ...Made. CHMOD (511) ...Done.
Done

Building Home Pages . . .
Subcategories: 1
Total Links: 1
Opening page: /home/????-www/links/links.html
Closing page.
Done

Building What's New Page . . .
Making Directory (511): '/home/?????-www/links/New' ...Made. CHMOD (511) ...Done.
New Links for 31-Mar-2001: 1
Total New Links: 1
Done

Building What's Cool Page . . .
Making Directory (511): '/home/??????www/links/Cool' ...Made. CHMOD (511) ...Done.
Cool Links: 0
Done

Building Top Rated Page . . .
Making Directory (511): '/home/?????/www/links/Ratings' ...Made. CHMOD (511) ...Done.
Vote Range: ..
Rate Range: ..
Done

Building Category Pages . . .
Building Category: testname
Subcategories: 0
Links: 1
Making Directory (511): '/home/?????/??? -www/links/testname' ...Made. CHMOD (511) ...Done.
Directory: /home/?????????/-www/links/testname
Filename : /home/?????-www/links/testname/links.html

Done

Pages Built (0 s)!

I feel this could be related to the first issue & trying to look at directories & not paths to htmls or cgi's. Naturally, the "???"'s are for security & represent the correct full path to my server.

Thanks,

Dan

Quote Reply
Re: Pathing & Permissions In reply to
It would be more useful to show us your paths in links.cfg rather than what the build process looks like.

You don't need to hide your paths with ????'s because no-one can do anything by knowing a path on your server.

Paul Wilson.
Installations:
http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Quote Reply
Re: Pathing & Permissions In reply to
And you may want to READ the FAQ in the Resources section on the directory structure on permissions settings.

Happy Coding,

--Drew
http://www.FindingHim.com