Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Problems with link id

Quote Reply
Problems with link id
I am setting up a database and am having troubles when I try and click one of my indexed links. I get a message saying...

Error: Can't find link id: 3

How can I fix this?

Check it out for yourself at http://tln.lib.mi.us/~htwd/reference_desk/

Thanks!
Brent

Quote Reply
Re: Problems with link id In reply to
This should be discussed in the LINKS Installation Forum.

Anyway...the problem is that your url.db file is probably not being created. Make sure that you have a url.db file in your /data/ directory where your links.db file is located. Also make sure that the url.db file is set to 666 (rw-rw-rw-).

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I do apologize for not posting my question in the right forum. I am new to this, and thus though the general discussion board would work just as well.

In answer to your suggestion, the permissions are all set correctly and the links.db and url.db files are in the correct folder. Something is still not working.

Brent

Quote Reply
What is the permission of your data directory? It should be 777 (drwxrwxrwx).

Are links and IDs being written in the url.db file? If not and IF the permissions are set correctly, then check the $db_url_name configurations in the links.cfg file.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I have changed the permission of the data directory to 777 (drwxrwxrwx) and it looks like the $db_url_name configurations in the links.cfg file are just fine. Could there be anything else wrong?

Quote Reply
Can't think of anything...except re-installing LINKS and setting the permissions again...and see what happens.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Before I do that, which would destroy a lot of my work so far... Have you heard of this happening before?

Quote Reply
Yes...and the permissions and links.cfg configurations were the problem. And it fixed the problem.

Before you re-install...save your links.db and categories.db files. Then re-install all the other files.

That is the only thing I can of at this time.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
No luck. I reinstalled everything, and I am still experiencing the same problem. Any other ideas?

Quote Reply
Nope...good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
So, now what? I would really like to get this database up and running, but it doesn't seem to want to work. I have no idea where to go from here. I could really use some help. I've tried everything short of posting the links.cfg file on the discussion board. This is really frustrating.

Brent
pliskowbj@hiram.edu

Quote Reply
Funny thing. I guess we must be in the same area. I went to your website and noticed your a 1990 graduate of Southfield Lathrup High School. I'm a 1998 graduate of Berkley High School. We are practically neighbors. :)

Still no clue about this links problem. :(

Brent

Quote Reply
That's cool...However, I do not live in Michigan anymore...My mother still lives in Lathrup Village.

Welp...I really don't know what to tell you about your LINKS problem...

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Lahtrup Village is just a hop, skip, and jump away from where I live.

Might you know anyone I can ask about the LINKS problem? I've also noticed the following problem when trying "Build All." I can only use "Staggered (Auto)" to update the pages.

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Unable to copy links backup. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : /home/htwd/htwd/www/cgi-bin/links/admin/nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00404

I know the permissions on that file are correct.

Brent

Quote Reply
This new problem deals with not having your backup directory set to 777 (drwxrwxrwx) and you also need to start with a blank file called links.db.bak in your data directory that should be set to 666 (rw-rw-rw-).

In Reply To:
Lahtrup Village is just a hop, skip, and jump away from where I live.
I know that...I played soccer against Berkley High School and my best friend from College went to Berkley back in the late 80's and his mother still lives there. And I also dated a few girls who went to Berkley...Nope...I don't think you would know them...they graduated in 1988 and 1989.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Horray! That has seemed to fix all the problems I've been having. No files are writing to url.db! Thank you so much for all your help.

I know one person who graduated from Berkley around that time. Her name is Rachel Kornfeld. She used to babysit me and my siblings.

Brent

Quote Reply
Good...glad you figured it out.

However...

In Reply To:
No files are writing to url.db!
What do you mean by this??? The url.db file should be built with the LINK IDS and URLS from the links.db file!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Sorry about that. It was supposed to read that before nothing was writing to url.db and now everything works just fine. :)

Brent

Quote Reply
Well...anyway...glad it is working now.

Regards,

Eliot Lee