Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

add url customization

Quote Reply
add url customization
hi there.
i have uploaded a test site with about 3000 links in a links db. I have removed the category directory and used only the bare esentals in my cgi-bin directory. so that links takes on the look and feel of a meta search engine. i am using url spider pro to spider for links and then simply copy and paste the found links from the spidere db to the links db. What i would like to do is to offer the chance to add your url...but i would need to do away with the email and category sections in the add url form. that way i would simply be able to copy and paste new url's from my users suggested sites to the url spider pro "to do list" there are a few listed within the forums but i would realy have to customise it so that only url is required....p.s i am a total dummy with perl so any plain english solutions would be very much apreciated...

thanks in advance.

clickforchoice.com a new up and coming web directory and portal
Quote Reply
Re: add url customization In reply to
Like mentioned in the forums, if all you want is the URL required, then you would simply change the 0 for the required column in the %db_def hash in the links.def file to 1 for the URL field.

Then, you would have to delete all the extraneous fields you don't want, with the exception of the following:

isNew
isPopular
Votes
Ratings
Hits

And then you would have to edit the add and modify templates.

As mentioned quite a few times in the Links 2.0 Customization Forum, removing these fields would entail tons of work in the nph-build.cgi script.

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
thanks eliot.

i can see there would be a lot involved and when you concider that i am to perl what mustard is to a cake do you think i would be better to perhaps use an external source for add a url such as a flat database for only listing url's where the user just types in a url and it is stored in a text database i then copy the url's to the to do list in prider pro. then update links db from the spider results.

clickforchoice.com a new up and coming web directory and portal
Quote Reply
Uh...why not use the regular add.cgi file and only require the URL field??? All you have to do is edit the ADD/MODIFY template files! You do know HTML and creating forms, right?

If you use the regular add.cgi, the submitted links would go into the validate.db like it always has! Then you can "validate" the submitted links separately from the SPIDER PRO links!

Got it??? I really think you are making this more complex than this has to be!

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/