Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Adding Subcategories

Quote Reply
Adding Subcategories
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for the Yahoo sytle subcategory addon, which will allow me to add the subcategory on the links home page, displayed under the main catergory heading.

Doeas anyone know where I can find this addon ?

Thanks

Ian

Quote Reply
Re: Adding Subcategories In reply to
I think you are looking for the:-

SUBCATEGORIES LIKE YAHOO v2.1 MOD

listed in the resources section.

regards
Paul

Struggling! But getting there (I think?)
Quote Reply
Uh...yea...it is linked in the Forum and also linked in the Resources section.

Search this forum for Subcategories like Yahoo v.2.1!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip... I have now installed the addon to our script, on a test site, but when I add the catogories and subcats, then build, nothing shows up on the main catogory page. The main page shows that thier is a category there, lists the amount of links, and prints the 3 dots for the sub cats, but other than that a blank page. The test script is located here : http://www.onlinebusinessdirectory.net/directory/

Any ideas why this is happening ?

Appreciation in advance for any help, as I seem to have hit a blank on this one ?

Thanks

Ian

Quote Reply
You probably forgot to add the following variable in your links.cfg file (as referenced quite a few times in this forum in the MANY SUBCATEGORIES LIKE YAHOO Threads)....

Code:

$subcat_length = 40;

Read the INSTRUCTIONS again.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Eliot,

I took a long hard look at the code, and discovered why the Yahoo Subcat mod that is posted in the resources section was not working. It took me ages to see why, but I only noticed that it misses some vital parts of the subroutine, if you follow the instructions and add the code as it directs. I have hacked away at it, and now have it working, but here is something you may be able to help me with now.

I had it working perfectly on the test site, so I decided to move the hack over to the site we are building right now to launch soon. cat.db has had the added fields required for the subcat etc, but we have had a strange result when building the links. Everything worked fine, apart from one category, did not show the sub cats on the index page.

You can see the results of the build at www.syberworld.com.

Any input would be much appreciated

Thanks

Ian