Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Confused!

Quote Reply
Confused!
Hi everyone

I have recently installed the SUBCATEGORIES LIKE YAHOO v2.1 MOD and would like to tweak it slightly. I have searched the forum considerably and attempted to implement some of the advice given, so please don't shout at me to loudly, but all I have simply done is managed to confuse myself as to what action I need to take.

I would like to set up my Categories and Sub-Categories on the main page with different fonts sizes i.e.

Sport (large font)
Soccer, Rugby, Skiing (small font)

whilst leaving the remaining pages/links as they are.

Do I have to add an additional routine in the 'sub site_html_print_cat' of Site_html_templates or do I just have to carry out some editing (I have already removed the 'class' codes etc)

If someone could point me in the right direction or to the right thread I need to follow, it really would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance and my apologies for going over what is probably 'old ground' to many!

regards
Paul

Struggling! But getting there (I think?)
Quote Reply
Re: Confused! In reply to
You can't tell me you've really spent some quality time searching this forum and haven't found anything (clear enough) to help you...

But here's a tip or two:

Quit searching the forum for answers to questions you could answer yourself by:

a) learning what each file in Links does
b) learning what each subroutine does (read the captions)
c) learning some basic Perl syntax
d) learning how to modify each subroutine to suit your needs

In this case, if you are using templates, open 'site_html_templates.pl', and go to 'site_html_print_cat', look for where HTML codes could go (these are where you find '$output .= qq' or '$output .= "' and similar codes)

Happy Coding,

--Drew
http://www.FindingHim.com
Quote Reply

# Then we print out the name linked, new if it's new, and popular if its popular.
$output .= qq|<a class="catlist" href="$url">$description</a>
<font class="catlist">($numlinks)</font> |;
$output .= qq|<small><sup class="new">new</sup></small>| if (&days_old($mod) < $db_new_cutoff);
$output .= qq|<BR>|;

$url = "$build_root_url/" . &urlencode($_) . "/";
$output .= qq~<LI>~ if ($style eq "2");
$output .= qq~<a class="subcat" href="$url">$category_name</a>~;
$s++;
last if ($subcatstyle ne "ALL" && $#subcatsub > 0);
}
}

Paul Wilson.
new - http://www.wiredon.net
Quote Reply
Many Thanks Paul!
Your pointer was just what I needed, I think I've finally cracked it. After reading all of the posts in the forum I thought it was more complicated than it actually was.

Your comments are noted Junko: -

But I actually spent what I considered to be quite a bit of quality time in the forum and I found lot's of things to help me (I can now reformat most of the script output confidently, particular thanks to Elliot!) but I could not work out how to isolate the formatting of the Sub-Categories from the Categories on the main page. In fact there was probably to much info for a novice like me to assimilate correctly, hence I ended up confused and my original post!

Of course you are correct with regards to the fact that I need to spend more time learning Perl, HTML, the script etc and I also need to become more confident at manipulating it. But I intend to keep at it and who knows, One day I might just be able to write a little bit of script of my own!

regards
Paul

Struggling! But getting there (I think?)