Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

Wierd Query

Quote Reply
Wierd Query
Suppose A User takes two copy of 5 domain license and installs on two different servers. Now he includes the same domains on both the servers (the 5 domains i mean).

This may sound wierd, but what really happens if one does so?? Or GM has a protection against this sort of stupidity...
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Wierd Query In reply to
Hi,

One license of any version of Gossamer Mail is only valid for a single installation.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Wierd Query In reply to
Hi,

Yes I am aware of the licensing policy. Thats why I mentioned Two Licensed Copies. Is the above possible with two licensed copies on two different servers including the same set of domains. I know this may sound stupid but what if a competitor tries to hack in and play dirty tricks?

Treat my query as emnating from a novice ;-)

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Quote:
Is the above possible with two licensed copies on two different servers including the same set of domains.
If you were running it in shared pop mode I don't see how you can do this easily. GM deletes the mails from the pop box after checking the mail. You would never be able to sync all the e-mails on both servers. I suppose you can write a plug-in or modify the script to sync the mails.

Quote:
but what if a competitor tries to hack in and play dirty tricks
Well, if he/she/they got your admin area and/or pop passwords they can cause lots of problems. Are you asking that if a competitor installed a copy of GMail on his/her server and set it up with the same domains as you, will that cause problems for you?

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Piper] Wierd Query In reply to
Quote:
Are you asking that if a competitor installed a copy of GMail on his/her server and set it up with the same domains as you, will that cause problems for you?

Yes. The guy may not want to be destructive but then may try to use the popularity of a domain.So what happens if there are common usernames for a given domain on both the servers. Where does the mail xyz.domain.com go where the domain.com is set on both licensed copies on different servers. Oh its getting so confusing for me. But yes thats what I was precisely wanting to know.

In short, I think GM should have a builtin restriction that the domains from the same server (where GM is installed) can be included. This would eliminate such nasty attempts if at all.

Thnx
Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Jun 29, 2002, 12:53 PM
Quote Reply
Oops, sorry, I misread your question.

No, if someone else installed Gossamer Mail and set it up using your domain name, it would have no effect on your installation.

The reason is that you control the DNS records for your own domain, so only you can tell where the mail will actually be delivered. As long as you say the mail should go to your machine, they can't "hijack" your account.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.