Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

User Controlled Detail Pages

Quote Reply
User Controlled Detail Pages
This is an idea for a plugin that would create ownership by users that do NOT have websites that you could link to currently.

At the point where a registered user would submit their site URL they would be given a choice of:

Site URL or Build a Site

If they select the "Build a Site" option it would upon completion of the submission process take them to a configuration and design page where they could insert their own information, pictures, select some color options, etc along with all their contact data. Then they would preview it prior to publishing it to your Links SQL site.

This would allow them to use YOUR site as THEIRS and market YOUR site as THEIRS.

If their information changes they need to be able to edit it after the fact to point to their new URL, change data, pictures, colors, etc as needed.

Just a thought!

Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] User Controlled Detail Pages In reply to
Hi

What i have been using is simple link_header and link_footer added to the link and the user can add the html code right online and can modify them latter from the modify script..

It is not as advance as you want it to be but it works..
Also a plug in like that will be great...
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Anyone else want to buy a plug-in like this?Wink

EDIT: I can't help but think there is already something similar to this around... could be wrongCrazy

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 23, 2002, 11:16 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] User Controlled Detail Pages In reply to

Hi,

Actually that is not what I was looking for. Adding their own header and footer to an existing LinksSQL page does not give them total control over the look, feel and CONTENT on the page. What you are talking about is branding YOUR content with THEIR brand.

Branding is cool but it does not allow them to create their own HOME PAGE so to say.

Thanks!

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jun 23, 2002, 1:04 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] User Controlled Detail Pages In reply to
It sounds nice..
Depends on the pricing though Tongue
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
In theory I am interested. Unimpressed

If you keep your price as reasonable as your other plug-ins, then absolutely yes. Wink

Last edited by:

nt6: Jun 23, 2002, 2:18 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] User Controlled Detail Pages In reply to
I'll keep an eye on this thread, if I can see everyone wanting the same thing then it would make sense to make a plug-in. If people are wanting essentially different things, then I might back out of it! (it has to be worth it for me - I wont be using this one on my own website). Also, maybe someone else might be developing something like this already??

So I guess thats 3 interested anywaysSmile

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 23, 2002, 2:19 PM
Quote Reply
would buy this type of plugin for around $50
Quote Reply
Re: [xpert] User Controlled Detail Pages In reply to
I would think so. Depends how much work is invovled... sometimes these things end up requiring more features than you thought to be usable.

I would not write it for less than this personally. Feel free to shop around. Maybe someone is already writting this?

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 23, 2002, 3:22 PM
Quote Reply
???

Maybe its my bad english or do you really think about making Detailed Pages on user´s choice and sell it as a plugin ?!

Fine. Please send 1 Mio dollars and i tell you the one line and the new field for your links to do that ;-)

For all others:

Add a new fields: isDetailed as enum Yes/No.
Then watch the line 538 in build_cgi

there is
$cond->add ('isValidated', '=', 'Yes');

add this
$cond->add ('isDetailed', '=', 'Yes');

Now you have to make this field eitable for your users and with an easy if isdetailed= yes then link to
else link to you can do the rest.

If you send me another million (Euro plz, the dollar goes down rapidly the next month ;-)
i will tell you how to add another field and another sql-statement to build the detailed pages only if updated.

Somewhere in this forum you find the solution for 1.13, too.

Plz, dont harm about me. But i have to write this as a joke while reading about getting money for this ...

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: [Robert] User Controlled Detail Pages In reply to
Thanks Robert!

There is quite a bit more to it than what you stated though.Wink
Quote Reply
 And we would we be able to give them a subdomain such as http://www.mydomain.com/theirchosenname

I would be interested in this. We have people wanting to add be in the directory to get leads but have no web site. It's much better than just a detailed page with their info. And we get extra hits.
Quote Reply
Re: [SSmeredith] User Controlled Detail Pages In reply to
Hi,

this seems to be exactly what I'm thinking about for quite a while:

I want to provide my users an Online-Configuration-Tool (OCT) for my LinksSQL-Directory.

They should be able to enter a subdomain (and the plugin will create this if the subdomain doesn't already exists), and save their "templates" to this subdomain.

For their "templates" users should be able to define background and font-colors/-size within the OCT. They should also be able to save their logos to a specific field, choose between some standard-menus, add their own menu(s), footer and header and so on.

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] User Controlled Detail Pages In reply to
Yes, this is a good service especially if it means getting a paid yearly membership fee. And giving them a nice product in exchange.
Quote Reply
Re: [SSmeredith] User Controlled Detail Pages In reply to
yes, that's a possibility.

But I want to give it away for free! Why? To increase the popularity of my directory and to increase the monthly clicks on every link. This would be a strong argument for the link-owners to pay me to place their links as premium-links within my directory!

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Interested Cool Cool
Quote Reply
Ok,

Here is a simple suggestion.

Create a form, that asks them for the information you need, or want to display, and store it in a table with field names that match the form (this is for simplicity).

Give the table an autoincrement field called ID, and you can tap into all the Links functions without any problems.

You can store the Username in that table, or you can store that table's ID in the User record of links. Which works better? I can make arguments for either case. Actually, you should probably store the LinkID in the new table, since this will be associated with a Link, not a username, actually.

The Link can store images, using the FileType field, so you can allow them as many images as you want.

Ooops. I got ahead of myself. This will need a global or two, or maybe even a small script to work "smoothly".

Forget the extra table. Just add the fields directly to the Links record. Empty fields don't take up much room, and since this data *IS* tied directly to the Link ie: detailed information, it doesn't violate any rules about cluttering up the the table.

Just ask on the "Add Link" page if the user "Need a Webpage?".

If so, call add.cgi again with "Need_Page='yes'" and in your add.html use an <%if%> statement to allow a user allow the user to fill in those extra fields.

Same thing for "modify.html". If there is a "yes" in Need_Page, or if some other flag field is filled out, the user can edit/alter their current information.

This requires a few template tags, but that is all.

Then, in detail_page.html you would do something like:

<%if Need_Page%> <=== anything in the Need_Page field will make this true, except a '0' or NULL
<%include custom_template%> <=== this could probably be even a pick field ie: you give your user a choice of layouts.
<%esle%>
.... normal default html ....
<%endif%>

If you can do a bit of code hacking, you can probably modify my detail_page.cgi to do some special things to display your detail page, and that will *not* be affected by upgrades to links, since it's a preserved 3rd party plugin.

I hope this makes sense, but trying to do this through a plugin is like swatting a fly with the OED. It will make a loud thud, it might actually swat the fly, but a fly swatter works better ;)

Basically, this is what I did to make my slide-page layout. Links is really, really flexible. For features you need in the "core" of your links installation, don't think plugins at first. Think if you can alter links to do what you want and need. It's only if you need to change the way Links works, or add in some complex or complicated features that would force code editing or changes, that you should think plug ins.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.