Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Hide category & moderator questions

Quote Reply
Hide category & moderator questions
Can you tell I'm a new Gossamer Forums user? Smile
  • Is it possible to hide a category from guests and have it revealed for registered users?
  • Moderators. The use, application, etc., of moderators has me flummoxed and I was unable to locate an explanation of their use. I set my own user status to "administrator". Is this what is required to set others to "moderator?" Then can enter their user names in individual forums as moderator?
  • And another, would it be possible to set the guest view of the board? For example, could you set it so that one Category was expanded while all the others were collapsed?

Feature request. It would be nice to be able to assign moderator per category, or is this already possible? I think currently I would have to assign moderators per forum, which could be fun if a single category has...oh 20 forums in it.

- Ringing in the New Year getting intimate with Gossamer Threads (now that's a hell of a party date!).

Last edited by:

heavybombers: Dec 30, 2001, 7:00 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Hide category & moderator questions In reply to
About hiding categories....

You could use the same logic that was written in the Links SQL Discussion Forum for "hiding categories". The logic would work for GT forum, I believe.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Dec 30, 2001, 4:56 PM
Quote Reply
I still have no understanding of how moderators work in this product. I have attempted to enter user names into the "Moderator" field for various Forums but while it appears to take them. It does not keep them or list them after the addition has been made.

I do not want to make my moderators "Administrators". It would also be nice to assign moderators by Category and not just individual Forums (feature request).

How does the entire moderator thing work and what am I missing? Thanks.

Last edited by:

heavybombers: Jan 3, 2002, 3:19 PM
Quote Reply
With the addition of sub categories, it would also be a good idea to add the ability to control category/forum display depth. This is particularly relevent to the main page and would help cut down on page load time for large message boards.

vBulletin (2.2.1) does this feature well if you need an example.

-Slowly but surely pulling my wish list together Tongue
Quote Reply
Thanks to Jason at Gossamer this problem is now fixed. It was a NT/Win2k bug and not a failure of this user to understand how moderators were supposed to be assigned (although I was beginning to wonder about that).

For the record, any user can be made a moderator of a forum from the forums section of the admin tool. They need not be assigned any special status from the user section of the admin tool.