Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Updated version for newer Perl

Quote Reply
Updated version for newer Perl
Hi, I use gforum as well as glinks and glist. All three programs have stopped running, apparantly due to my hosts upgrade of their version of Perl. According to my sysadmin I must install the newest version of all three scripts. Does this sound reasonable to anyone? Looks like I'm running version 1.2.4. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [dlarocque] Updated version for newer Perl In reply to
Hi,

I would email support @ gossamer-threads.com, to see if they can confirm this.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
No, you shouldn't need to upgrade the scripts. The path to Perl may have changed and in that case, you'll need the shebang (#!) line of all the .cgi and .pl files.

Our programs have very few external module requirements, but you may have installed a plugin that requires a module that isn't installed.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Updated version for newer Perl In reply to
thanks folks, and Jack Ong too for replying to my email. I figured I was being sold a bogus excuse, looking at my cgi files the path to perl has been changed (not by me!) and right now I'm working at changing them back, will post here whether or not that makes my scripts operable again. Meanwhile I'm moving servers over to someone willing to give me the straight goods, even if they've screwed up. Cheers,
Quote Reply
It's looking better, changed the path to perl back and I can bring up my admin panel but the main forum is still an internal server error
http://cceabc.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi
Quote Reply
Check your error logs for why it's erroring out.

Adrian
Quote Reply
this is what my error logs look like.

defined(%hash) is deprecated at /...../cceabc.com/cgi-bin/admin/bases.pm line 43.
(Maybe you should just omit the defined()?)
defined(%hash) is deprecated at /...../cceabc.com/cgi-bin/admin/GT/SQL/Base.pm line 593.
(Maybe you should just omit the defined()?)
Quote Reply
What version of perl are you guys running?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Not sure, and this host takes a week or more to reply to emails. Yes, I'm moving from this host.
Quote Reply
You can view the Perl version by going to the admin panel, Setup, Environment

Adrian
Quote Reply
Thanks. Perl Version: v5.12.1
Quote Reply
If you send me admin panel access, I can take a quick look.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Thanks for the offer, I'm going to go ahead and re-install the whole script at my new host, luckily this particular script was never very busy or full of archived messages, like my glinks database on vancouverislandlife.com. Quite an inconvenience.

You never know how important a good server can be until you find yourself with a bad one.

Thanks again Gossamer Threads.
Quote Reply
Quote:
You never know how important a good server can be until you find yourself with a bad one.

Been there, done that for many years. Thats why I host with GT now, as I've been with them for many many many years now, and never had any issues Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!