Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Same Old Quote Problem

Quote Reply
Same Old Quote Problem
When I Quote a reply to my test post I am thrown to the advanced editor. I type a subject and click (well down) into the editor block. My insertion pointer is positioned inside the horizontal line object. I tried all manner of things to get it out but failed.

I read the old posts regarding this and replies from moderators saying it's fixed. Looks broke to me.

Also, not exactly WYSIWYG as spacing is inconsistent with previews, posts, and sigs. I figured it out, but first time users will be frustrated.

Any (real) fix for the Quote editor issue on the horizon? This seems like a show stopper for a forum program to me. That's the bread and butter function, after all. Too bad as this is cool software with great features.
Mo Heat (Vermont Castings Winter Warm Large: 2004 - Current)

Last edited by:

Mo Heat: Nov 3, 2005, 3:48 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Mo Heat] Same Old Quote Problem In reply to
In Reply To:
When I Quote a reply to my test post I am thrown to the advanced editor. I type a subject and click (well down) into the editor block. My insertion pointer is positioned inside the horizontal line object. I tried all manner of things to get it out but failed.

I read the old posts regarding this and replies from moderators saying it's fixed. Looks broke to me.

Also, not exactly WYSIWYG as spacing is inconsistent with previews, posts, and sigs. I figured it out, but first time users will be frustrated.

Any (real) fix for the Quote editor issue on the horizon? This seems like a show stopper for a forum program to me. That's the bread and butter function, after all. Too bad as this is cool software with great features.

Okay, I think I see the problem. It seems to work ok with MS IE6, but not with the Netscape7 browser.

Last edited by:

Mo Heat: Nov 3, 2005, 6:38 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

I believe thats an issue with older version of FireFox, and also Mozilla Frown

I have the same problem with other forum scripts, and yeah, its quite annoying Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I've changed the [reply], [quote], [code], and [pre] tags on this forum by adding a <br> at the end of the closing tag html (Admin -> Markup -> Tags -> Modify) - that appears to solve the problem (but give it a try here and confirm).

As for spacing being not completely exact, this is an unfortunate result of limitations of how the editing components being used differ in some ways from the final HTML produced by GForum; since straight HTML is not allowed (for various security reasons), the resulting HTML has to be converted to markup, which is safe, then converted back to HTML when displayed. This does mean some content can be lost - for example, if you were to copy and paste a table from one page into the editor, the table would not be preserved because there are no table elements available in markup. That said, we do try to keep the final display as close as possible to the input when using functionality directly available in the editor, and if there is an area where the final result varies greatly, we can look into possible fixes for it.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Post deleted by Mo Heat In reply to
Post deleted by Mo Heat In reply to
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Same Old Quote Problem In reply to
In Reply To:
I've changed the [reply], [quote], [code], and [pre] tags on this forum by adding a
at the end of the closing tag html (Admin -> Markup -> Tags -> Modify) - that appears to solve the problem (but give it a try here and confirm).

As for spacing being not completely exact, this is an unfortunate result of limitations of how the editing components being used differ in some ways from the final HTML produced by GForum; since straight HTML is not allowed (for various security reasons), the resulting HTML has to be converted to markup, which is safe, then converted back to HTML when displayed. This does mean some content can be lost - for example, if you were to copy and paste a table from one page into the editor, the table would not be preserved because there are no table elements available in markup. That said, we do try to keep the final display as close as possible to the input when using functionality directly available in the editor, and if there is an area where the final result varies greatly, we can look into possible fixes for it.

One more time. Let me see if this works without injecting any markup or control commands. :) I'll just keep typing to see if the word wrap will work this time. That should do it, now let me preview and post it if it works.

All righty then... It looks good in the preview so I stand on my original congratulatory post. :)

It looks like the break tag straightened things out in this Quote reply. It worked fine for me here. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Maybe I'm the only guy using Netscape browsers these days. :)

Will you be rolling this fix into future releases? If so, please reply here so I'll know when it's taken care of in a release that can be purchased. I'm assuming you are indicating above that you have only added the fix to this test forum for proof of concept and it will need to be rolled into a minor revision level release sometime in the future.

I appreciate the quick response and the test area code change.

Last edited by:

Mo Heat: Nov 4, 2005, 2:37 PM