Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Advanced Editor

Quote Reply
Advanced Editor
Hi,

I'm using IE 5.5 and I get this error when I change font (see error.jpg in attachment file). This error appears only when I start a new thread, doesn't appear when I reply to a post.

Most of the time, when I change font I have to select the same font twice to get it (strange).

There is no advanced editor for sending private message, only the basic one. The button for switch to the advanced editor is not there (?).

When I made a preview of my posts, sometimes the advanced editor collapses (see error2.jpg).

Thank you.

François

Forgive me for my english...
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] Advanced Editor In reply to
I thought that was on purpose :)

I get it with IE6

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 10, 2002, 9:30 AM
Quote Reply
The first error (error.jpg) was some debugging that I accidentally left in. It's been removed.

As for changing the font twice, I'll look into this one and see if I can reproduce it... We haven't yet made the advanced editor work with the private messaging; having it work for posts is of much more consequence than the private messages. I will, however, try and put it in today before we release.

As for error2.jpg - Frown. We saw that before (while developing), and I thought we had fixed it. It would seem otherwise. As far as I can figure out, it's a bug in IE with not correctly running JavaScript, but a workaround is not proving to be so easy.

For a more technical explanation: the editor actually consists of two <iframe>'s. The outer one contains the green buttons across the top and the inner one, which is the white area where you type. After loading the inner <iframe>, the Javascript is supposed to reposition the toolbars and <iframe> so that they fit perfectly in the window. This resizing also happens whenever you resize the browser - try it, you'll notice that if you make it small enough the toolbar will shrink down to two or three lines. Unfortunately, about 1 time in 50, the initialization doesn't happen correctly, and you get a garbled image. It also proves very difficult to debug because, as I said, it only happens about 1 time in 50.

I'll definately try to get rid of the problem before we release 1.1.1.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com

Last edited by:

jagerman: Jan 10, 2002, 11:50 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Advanced Editor In reply to
Thank you, Jason, for your explanation. It's really appreciated!

Hope you'll find a solution for the error2 and for the problem with the fonts selection (need to select font more than one time to get it (I'm using IE 5.5 on Windows ME)).
Quote Reply
Alright, I _think_ I've fixed the error2 problem (but I'm not completely sure of it). Please, if anyone sees the post window garbled up like in error2.jpg, let me know and I'll try something else.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
I saw it again (after your last post). Frown

Last edited by:

Franco: Jan 10, 2002, 12:40 PM
Quote Reply
I'm glad to see the "Advanced Editor" button only appears in browsers that support it. Just tested with IE5 and the button doesn't appear.

However. What happens when I click the "use advanced editor by default" in my profile, (which I can using IE5) and then try to write a message? Hm. Here goes some testing...

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Advanced Editor In reply to
Ah great. Even though the Advanced Editor is my default (via my profile) when trying to compose a message it forces me to use the basic editor. Good. :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
There might have been some caching going on. I've been posting and previewing and doing all sorts of things with the advanced editor and I don't seem to be able to make it happen any more.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Hi Jason,

I cleaned completely the cache of my browser and I still continue to see the bug when I preview a post (not every time). Frown See the attachment (you can see the date of today on it).

François
Quote Reply
Yeah, I believe you, I got it again myself. I'm working on quite a few new features for the editor - I'll update the forum soon. I'm pretty sure that it is now fixed (or will be, once I update).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
What new features? sounds interesting...
Quote Reply
You did a really great job, Jason.

But I still continue to see sometimes the famous bug (error2.jpg). Frown (Maybe, I'm just not lucky...) I saw the bug when I tried to reply to a post (not in preview).

Sorry to announce you that. Unsure
Quote Reply
Since my last post in this thread, I try to reproduce the error2.jpg, but I'm not able. Seem to look good...! Smile

François
Quote Reply
Oups, saw it again (error2.jpg).

Sorry. Unsure
Quote Reply
Frown Other than just admitting that it's a known bug without a known fix, I don't think there's any more I can do. There is absolutely no reason for that bug to happen, especially since it's occurring both rarely and randomly - the only reason would be JavaScript not running when it should. The next time you see it, try resizing your browser, there is code in there so that doing so should fix the problem.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads