Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Pre Sales :

Request for evaluation version

Quote Reply
Request for evaluation version
It really would be very useful if an evaluation version of dbman sql were available. The original flatfile dbman is a great program, and its usefulness is greatly enhanced by the "mods" which others have provided, particularly mods such as the universal date mod, long / short display, file upload, admin mass-mailer etc. Also of great use is the lively and helpful support forum. The issues for me in deciding whether to purchase the sql version are:

are these features (and others) available in the sql version?
If not, can the dbman mods be used?
If not again, do similar resources exist for dbman sql?

But the best thing would be an evaluation version. I wonder if the people at Gossamer Threads would make this available?
Tim Ault
Oxford UK
Quote Reply
Re: [timbo] Request for evaluation version In reply to
Hi,

We don't have an evaluation version available unfortuantely.

If you purchase DBMan SQL, you can get DBMan SQL 1.x, which is almost identical to DBMan in that you have the same html.pl file, same auth.pl file etc. A lot of the mods that are in html.pl will work without changes in the SQL version.

You can also download DBMan SQL 2 which is completely different and chances are the mods won't work as is. It does have a very powerful template system (like Gossamer Forum and Links SQL), so you can make mods pretty easily without going into the code.

Hope this helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Request for evaluation version In reply to
Hi Alex,

Please could you explain how the licencing works with dbman sql. I can't find this information anywhere on your site.

thanks

Tim
Tim Ault
Oxford UK
Quote Reply
Hi Tim,

Sorry about the late reply! DBMan SQL is a commercial product, and one license covers one installation of the product on one domain. DBMan SQL is very flexible, and you can run multiple databases from it on one license (see the demo as an example), as long as it is one installation of the program on one domain.

If you have any other questions, don't hestitate to ask.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Request for evaluation version In reply to
I've bought the program now. I think it would be very helpful to prospective purchasers if you were to make the pdf manual available for download. This would answer a lot of questions about what dbman-sql can and can't do.
Tim Ault
Oxford UK
Quote Reply
I have the same problem. At this moment I am using DBMan. It is a very great and stable script. So, the step to a new script is very big !

So, if possible, can I receive the PDF-manual... maybe this is the first step !

luc@ballooning.nu
Luc
----