Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

unknown action

(Page 2 of 3)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: unknown action In reply to
In Reply To:
I hope this will be sufficient, to visualize wher and why the image is not appearing but the default iabe is showing.
Very much so.

You have

$graphic_found=1;

and

unless ($Graphic_found)

Variable names are case-sensitive. Use either

$Graphic_found=1;

or

unless ($graphic_found)

As for the two-column display, what I would like is an example. Show me what you want it to look like.

JPD
http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/
Quote Reply
Dear jpdeni,
Thank you very much for your immediate attention to this matter, as for the example will get the layout for your attention as soon as possible, like now which i am unable only jpdeni can, where we, I am sure most of us in the forum have benefited greatly from you. one in a billion in this planet. you can say a life saviour!!
another mother teresa. keep it up!! dbman, the management make sure she stays on to this channel by ensuring dbman is upgraded.
Another issue I would hope you could advise. if and when the site to be hosted is in action,
what would we have to ensure to get tech support and how to would it be by hosting it at the current site.
legal implications, which is important, payment for dbman would be, and the other is the site on the pop advert now, would this be solved by making payments for this two areas. or would there be others to take into consideration.
yours
david fong

Quote Reply
Thank you for your kind words. Smile

In Reply To:
what would we have to ensure to get tech support and how to would it be by hosting it at the current site.
I am not in a position to know anything about this at all. I don't know anything about hypermart, other than what others have written on the forum.

In Reply To:
legal implications, which is important, payment for dbman would be,payment for dbman would be
Since I am not employed by Gossamer Threads, I can only tell you what is on the DBMan information page:

DBMan
costs $100 US for for-profit companies, or if you wish to remove the link to
Gossamer Threads from the html. If neither applies, you are free to use the
program at no charge, but still need to let us
know where it is installed.

In Reply To:
the other is the site on the pop advert now, would this be solved by making payments for this two areas. or would there be others to take into consideration.
I'm sorry. I don't understand.

JPD
Quote Reply
Dear jpdeni,
Thank you, for your reply in respect to dbman, what is made known is if the licence fee of dolars is paid we can have technical and can be hosted without a problem, the other would be if we pay for the site to be hosted through hypermart.net or virtualave.net, it would not made a problem to host dbman at this site without legal implications, and the pop up adverts will disappera, would this be the case. note still will be able to access the forum, I hope, your advise is still invaluable. there will never be an end cos there will always be improvements as time get on. seven thousand or so registered members at the forum will sorely missed you, you have been a great help to all i think so. those who have been also adding to your mods are great suporters too, they are also appreciated. you guys who are reading this, take note .
I your previous reply , your request of an example of a two column page. please refer below.

The following which would be available to members, after the formality has been completed.

The list all,shown at html_home page.
prints form listing all the members. Just Firstname and Surname. as to database.

From the list all,all members will be listed. when a member clicks onto the name of the member, the profile as the html_record and the image if they have uploaded will be printed on the a html form for the member to view. the format which would be displayed to be in a two column html page,as shown below as an example.
column one column two

1. column one would be at 60% of the page. 1. column two at 40% of page
2. the html_record as entered by member 2a Image uploaded by member
will be printed printed. if multi upload mod
is used then the images will
take turn to appear. max 3 images.
2b.if no images were uploaded,
a default image will be printed until one is uploaded by member.
3. Profile of Member.
a. Yearof
b. Firstname
c. SurName
Others, when fields are added
as it is decided as to what is
needed, at a later stage.

Dear jpdeni, at the moment I have not been able to get access to this as a registered member, i can only get to view it as an admin user. why is this so. I have tried to change the authorisation and still not allowing this for the registered user to list all the members in a listed form.
The other issue is I did add to the database according to the format a list of members and was faced with this problem of when i tried to add in the record it just did not add the the data to the database, when it is submited. cannot update the database.

This is why I ma asking the above question. I did add a list of names who are part of a member's site, which i added it first and from the list they view will be able to determine that their partial profile is in the record and so need to modify the record of their profile, and those who are not in the records to add their records. this is where nothing works when i try to change the autorisation, permission. how can this be rectified in the scripts to have this working. hoping that this can be hosted by end of this month. with all working without much of hiccup.
yours david fong

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
what is made known is if the licence fee of dolars is paid we can have technical and can be hosted without a problem,
The license fee for DBMan is for use of the script. It does not include web hosting. Gossamer Threads does, I think, offer web hosting, but you will have to contact them directly. I don't know anything about it.

As for technical support, you can always fill out a support form or post to the forum.

In Reply To:
the other would be if we pay for the site to be hosted through hypermart.net or virtualave.net, it would not made a problem to host dbman at this site without legal implications, and the pop up adverts will disappera, would this be the case.
There are no problems with having popup ads on DBMan -- no legal problems, that is. As a user, when I see a popup ad, I leave the site, but that could just be me.

There are a number of DBMan users on hypermart and virtualave. The popups appear right on the DBMan pages, every time you go from one link to another.

As for your two-column display, all you have to do is create the display like you would a regular .html page.

Here's what you should do.

Make up a page that looks exactly like you want your output to be.

In the middle of the page, create a table with two columns.

Fill in the information that you want to be displayed, using your own name, etc. Add the default graphic where you want it to appear.

Once you have it looking the way you want it to, copy the code for the table. Replace all of the information that you put into the table with $rec{'FieldName'} variables. Add the code for the graphic.

This is how I make pages.

In Reply To:
Others, when fields are added as it is decided as to what is needed, at a later stage.
Bad idea. You should start with the fields that you are going to end up with. The most important part of creating a database is planning. You should spend more time in the planning of the database than you spend in writing any code or configuring DBMan. It is a real pain to add fields later on to an existing database.

In Reply To:
at the moment I have not been able to get access to this as a registered member, i can only get to view it as an admin user. why is this so.
It probably has to do with your permissions. From what I've been able to figure out, you should have

$auth_no_authentication = 0;
$auth_modify_own = 1;
$auth_view_own = 0;

This, of course, assumes that your database includes a userid field and that you have set the $auth_user_field variable correctly.

In Reply To:
The other issue is I did add to the database according to the format a list of members and was faced with this problem of when i tried to add in the record it just did not add the the data to the database, when it is submited. cannot update the database.
This could be a problem with file permissions or with the $db_key field or with the $auth_user_field. It's hard to know.

I suppose the best thing would be for me to see your .cfg file again. Make sure you have the most recent version on your website and please post the URL for me again so I don't have to search through this long thread to find it.

JPD
Quote Reply
Dear jpdeni,
Thank you for your speedy reply.
I will get the files saved in text and ftp to the directory and will inform you where it is, by tommorrow.
yours
david fong

Quote Reply
Dear jpdeni,
I was reading the post by rcrossland, regarding sending delimted data to another, which initially that was what I thought could be done.
What I did was used the default.db and added data into it.
ftp together with the files and access it . but when as an admin user viewing the default.db, the first data gives the correct data into the the fields as in the defination but the second data when listed takes up the field wrongly. which is it starts off from the second field and the third goes into the third field. what could be the problem.
As I will be sending you the cfg,cgi and html as text files, I will send this default.db which i added infor for you to view where I could have gone wrong.
The issue is with the data in the database what would be is that a member should be given the initial creation of account and when relog in, to view the database. list all and if their data is in the database to only modify their profile with the upload of their image, without then the default image to be shown first. and when they do not have data, to get the access to add, this is where i have set the permission to different set up and am not able to get this criteria right. Note that what I did was used a text editor to add the infor.
Is there a way to do this. your attention and advise is most appreciated. will post it and inform you of the url to access the files for your attention.
yours
david fong

Quote Reply
Please do not add any more modifications to the script until what you have is working. Every time you add something in, it makes it more difficult to figure out where you current problems are.

When I can see your .cfg file I will be better able to answer your questions.

JPD
Quote Reply
Dear jpdeni.
the four files, I have ftp to the directory, as follows
http://famefed.virtualave.net/dbman/
hope to hear from you soon.
yours
david fong

Quote Reply
Your .cfg file looks okay. I'm not sure why you have the "ID" field in there, but I don't suppose it hurts anything.

Have you added or deleted any fields from the .cfg file since you first added records to the database? If so, you should start over with an empty .db file.

JPD
Quote Reply
Dear jpdeni,
This is the cfg which was done as advise, using the uf_html.pl, mass mailer and the multifileupload mod.
the Grahpic was added according to the mod instrcution and I set up the field in the cfg and html.
as such could the ID be the issue here which is causing the problem. if it is not used how can we have a counter to set the next nos after i have list the members in the database which i did send one with only ten as an example. what i tried intially was took off certain names and tried it with signing up with the names but it could not allow the entry, and second as admin, which it is listed the database was not listing it corrrectly according to the field as per defination. the first records was fine but subsequent what is happenning was the second record the fiirst field was pick and entered into the second field which it takes this routine as such it was listed not correctly. can I then not have the ID field and use the username and set a counter to generate new sign up commencing from where the list ends and to have the script validate all those who have created their account to be check against the database and if their records is listed to allow modify and view all and new members to add records without modify and view permission. only when they are members and with a record that they are allowed to view all and modify. the assumption is that the members are to be the members we expect them to be and as such will not be messing with the site records. if you have seen the index page , they are to be members how calibre and with intergrity.
your advise would be really make the day and appreciated.
yours
david

Quote Reply
Dear jpdeni,
I did not add what I have send to you as shown in the database, what I did was have all empty for the mates I have asked to test it. but the database which was ftp to you was to show you if I added those anmes and ftp to the site and then create an account and add a record it will not accept. and as explain when as admin, list all will show the database list not correctly except the first record. subsequesnt records will be shown with one field lower which is the nos will go to username and theird will show in the date fields. Is this because of the Id field being set with a counter, to generate the nos. as such nothing will work cos it will not compute as the records shown will not have been pick up by the script and when a record is added it will also not compute cos a record is there with a nos which it cannot compute.
what should be done to set it correct. as explain , before this post.
yours
david

Quote Reply
Dear jpdeni,
ther were some testing that some of the guys did and it would be appreciated this would be advise. when the images was uploaded some photos are not or are not set at a fixed size, how can this be done, have i to set it at the html.pl file or the cgi file. please advise. i check the site and have found that the images are not uniform being saved and view at a fixed size, this could be trouble eventually, it will be taking a lot of space.
yours
david

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
if it is not used how can we have a counter to set the next nos after i have list the members in the database
If you use the userid as the db_key field, you can't. If you want users to have only one record per user, you don't need a counter field. You just need to set the userid field as the db_key field.

In Reply To:
the first records was fine but subsequent what is happenning was the second record the fiirst field was pick and entered into the second field which it takes this routine as such it was listed not correctly.
This happens when one or more of your records does not have the correct number of fields. You need to either start with a blank .db file or go through each record to be sure that it has the correct number of fields. I can guarantee you that at least one does not have the correct number.

In Reply To:
can I then not have the ID field and use the username and set a counter to generate new sign up commencing from where the list ends
No, you cannot. And there's no reason to.

In Reply To:
have the script validate all those who have created their account to be check against the database
Checked against what database? What would you check?

In Reply To:
and if their records is listed to allow modify and view all and new members to add records without modify and view permission.
This could probably be done, if I had an idea of what you were trying to check.

But not until everything else is working correctly.

JPD
Quote Reply
Dear jpdeni,
You are a gem, which these answers and questions I have come to understand how dbman works with cetain criteria which has to be ensured. a precedent.
Right, what I have done , tested with a couple of members, one is that when the data and file was uploaded, the image is not set at the ideal size of 200x200, can we have the script to force this issue. which would be the final part of it.
As to date, what you have mentioned and advise, I think the best way is ignore the ID and counter and only have the Username as the key and Username key field, this will be basically the ideal situation and is there a script it can be done to
1. To validate the record is in the database, if no record to force the member to enter a record. and if they are listed which is what we have been going over, is that I could add the members data into the database, as an admin user have the script validate the member. The script to send the member to the modify their records, and able to view other members records.
As expalin, could this be done.
1. to have an empty database file, and as an admin user, add all the records which i have into the database.
2. once a member log on and account is created, the member then will have to relog on and here,
Can we have a script to validate their entry, if the data is already entered by the administrator then they are redirected to only have the permission to modify and view other members records in the database.
Those without a record in the database to be send to the add record to enter their data, with permission to also view other members records. list all, maybe without the image first, only can be view after they are members and in the member's page.
This is all that is needed.
after this is completed, the members are then to only logon and will be link to a member's page. the initial page is a public page where anyone can view it, but once they are members they get to the member's page with the log on with their username and password, until they logoff.
3. the other issue is the image, to force the image to be set at a fixed sized in the database, when it is viewed. that is at 200x200. reason have notice some guys just will not take the trouble to have it set to size and it will always be the problem, of some uploading such huge images. default images would be jpg and gif.
4. the defination fields to be set at this.
0. Username admin
1. Date auto generated
2. Email mass mailer with bad email mod
3. Yearof
4. FirstName
5. SurName
6. Graphic with check box
7. Comment textera
8. Validated this is the field which I am doubtful as to set it up to verify the problem which is being asked.
The above are all set to must have data except field six and seven. eight is the one which would be with you advise to set it to validate new members and members with records already entered by administrator.
your advise would be appreciated. Thanking you in anticipation.
yours
david fong

Quote Reply
The question is, how will you know if a user already has a record in the database? What do you want to compare? Email addresses? First and last names? Some predetermined number? There must be something for the script to be able to compare between what the user enters and what is already in the database.

In Reply To:
3. the other issue is the image, to force the image to be set at a fixed sized in the database, when it is viewed. that is at 200x200. reason have notice some guys just will not take the trouble to have it set to size and it will always be the problem, of some uploading such huge images. default images would be jpg and gif.
If you set a specific size for the image, it will probably be distorted. For example, if I uploaded an image that was 100x150, and you had the image size set for 200x200, my graphic would look as though someone had stretched it from top to bottom.

You can set a maximum byte size for uploaded images. If you have telnet access, you can also install a module that will allow the script to determine the size of the image. There's a mod for that in the Resource Center.

JPD
Quote Reply
dear jpdeni,
it would be best if it was the names, firstname or surname, i know the list which i am to be adding has certain members with only firstnames and others with firstnames and surnames, what if i add in the nos and validate the nos and new members when adding their records will have to follow the sequence of the nos, would that be something in a script to this effect. I would prefer if it validates the name. email would be validated with the bad email mod, have install it with the script and the only free email allowable is the hotmail and netscape free emails. other as per the mod have been enabled. but since this will be members which are guys known I would no doubt think they will enter their actual isp email address. which will be made known to them.
I have notice about the mod about the setting of the image size,and was wondering if i would be able to do it. could i use my windows telnet to do the installation.I would like to try it and have this cos it would be messy when images uploaded are not at the size as required. some will send at any size, that's for sure.
yours
david

Quote Reply
Is there any chance that any two people will have the same first name? Or surname? Or that someone might come along and say that they had someone else's name?

In order to install the image size mod, you must have shell access to your server. I don't know if your server gives you this capability or not. If you do not have shell access, there is no way to install the module that I've been able to see.

JPD
Quote Reply
Dear jpdeni,
The site which i am using is hypermart.net and virtualave.net, do you think any one of this is or have permission for their members to have telnet access to the site.
As for the double names, yes it is very likely esp in this country I live, every other person has a name that is the same, and it would be hard to tell a member to change their surname, or add something to differiate one other. It would be an insult to the member for the additional test to the name. Well this is mind boggling matter. I have read the forum and have come across members having this issue of validating records solve which is why I thought was a simple matter to solve, but different local, different hiccups faced.
I have tested it again, by adding it into the file a few members and ftp the file to the site and used it to test it again and this is not a go. Looks like I have run out of ideas in this issue. Listing them on a html pg would not solve this problem, what would be needed is to have it in the database so that new or existing members can view this list through the database, it would be a defeated purpose if this list has to be taken and listed on, by another method, ie by editing a html page.It looks simple but the issues catches you off hand all of a sudden. this is where it is such a facinating and intriguing program.
I would appreciate very much if somehow, I would be very grateful if you could suggest a way to unlock this issue.
It is not only I can now count the hair on my head, it has all turn white. Help! Help! jpdeni, I am a baldy to be!!
yours
david fong

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
The site which i am using is hypermart.net and virtualave.net, do you think any one of this is or have permission for their members to have telnet access to the site.
No, I don't know. There should be someone you can send email to who can answer your questions.

As for your name problem, the best way around it is to just have everyone add a record and you can check to see whether they are a valid member or not.

JPD
Quote Reply
Dear jpdeni,
Thank you for your advise and will get to this problem and will keep you posted as to how I am doing. Keeping my fingers cross that it will come out fine. Thanks a million again and have a good weekend.
yours
david fong

Quote Reply
Dear JPDeni,
Hope that you had a good weekend and and looks like tiger has been keeping the golf buffs at the wits end to the last day. yet to know if he won. but to my woes!!
I have to tell you that i was at wits end. what I did was just transfer the script to another site and it has to happen when the message turns up with this,
Error Message : fatal error: Illegal division by zero at db.cgi line 2766.
What did I do wrong, I am always getting into this pepetual erasing of certain full stops or some other tiny winy hyphens that it is getting me really bald.
your help would be most grateful. thank you.
I have not done much to redo the validating as I think with just a change in the permission will clear the issue. just want it to have members to enter their data and then will get it working towards another link for the member.This should do, I think. will let you check the site once it is running and your comment would be a help. Coming Soon.
Yours
david fong

Quote Reply
Post your db.cgi file as before and I'll see if I can find your problem.

JPD
Quote Reply
Dear jpdeni,
Sorry for the long delay in replying, was busy with a job, helping some dude, outstantion which took almost a week.Coming back to this fileupload mod, i have tried it at another site and it stills comes up with the same message, which is as follows:
CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : fatal error: Illegal division by zero at db.cgi line 3243.
Script Location : db.cgi.

Anyway as before i have ftp the files to the following site and the directory is as follows:
http://lasalleoba.hypermart.net/dbmantxt/

I am still not sure where and what i have done wrong, but suspect my files are name wrongly or being called wrongly.
What I have notice is that when i list all, the file called up, it shows the images supposed to be as default, is showing up twice. it might be this which is causing the problem of not being able to upload the files. Previously with fileupload mod2 it was ok but when I change to Multifileupload kaput it went.
Your help is greatly appreciated, truely appreciate it.
yours
david fong

Quote Reply
Dear JPDeni,
Wondering if you did the cgi,cfg and html files in text post as inform in my previous reply to you. what is it which is returning the message as shown.
yours
david fong

> > > >