Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

auto-login...

Quote Reply
auto-login...
Well, I'm back with a question about login.
I've searched the forum, but I couldn't find a thread about this subject.

I try to make it possible, when a registered user calls the script, that he directly log-in with his own uid and pw, whitch was saved with the 'cookie-mod' in another earlier session.
So the 'login' part is then passed already. The example is this forum. I wonder, where to start??

Thanks in advance

----------
Mart.
Quote Reply
Re: auto-login... In reply to
mart,

Hello.

Have you looked at oldmoney session cookie mod?

Regards,

Quote Reply
Anthro,

Would it be possible to have an "infinate session"? To that I mean, could it be possible to have an auto-login where even if they have closed the browser, they can still use the database without loging in and still have the same permissions (Add, Modify, etc., and not be a defualt user) (something like what this forum does)?

Regards,

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
Well...if you used DBMAN SQL or LINKS SQL or another SQL driven database, it would be quite easy to check a Session table for logging out users. Like with Links SQL, the default session time is 3 hours. After three hours, the user's session ends. Unfortunately, with flat file databases, it would be intensive in terms of processing, memory, and CPU resource usage. So, in other words, it would not be very efficient to do this with the regular version of DBMAN.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Anthro,

Are you talking about hard on the the computer for the server side or the client side?

It seems that it would only require a small modification to the session mod where you just set the expire time further ahead in time; but then, I'm only a beginner in Perl and JavaScript. Just a thought.

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
Server.

Although in terms of processing scripts, it would be intensive on client systems to access the data, and most likely with flat file databases, many of your users would probably complain of "crashes" and "download speeds".

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
I got a private message from someone and I decided I should copy and paste some of it because maybe he could explain what I'm thinking of a little better. Here's a quote:

If you were to offer the user an option (probably a checkbox) on the login screen, to "Log me in permanently", and then write the corresponding value to a cookie, you could check for the value of that cookie before you do the expiration check for the users session, and only process the expiration check if the permanent login cookie does not exist!

Possible?

Thanks,

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
Yes, I'm sure it's possible. I don't know the code you would need, since I don't know about cookies, but it should be possible.

JPD
http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/