Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Different permissions on 2 DBs with common .pass/auth

Quote Reply
Different permissions on 2 DBs with common .pass/auth
I have a problem that I know should be solvable, but can't seem to find the right combination. I have two databases, member and gallery, each with their own .pl, .cgi, .cfg, .db, and .count files and common .pass, .log and auth files. Both DBs require user authorization (e.g. default = 0,0,0,0,0), but have different permission strucutures (member = 1,0,0,0,0; gallery = 1,1,1,1,0). When switching between the DBs, I find that the permissions are not updating, so that a new user created in member does NOT have add/mod/del privlidges in gallery (but should), while a member created in gallery does have add/mod/del privlidges in member (but should not). I should mention that the two DBs are not really related, except by the need to have a common user ID and password.

Any pointers out there?

[This message has been edited by oldmoney (edited December 09, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Different permissions on 2 DBs with common .pass/auth In reply to
If the databases has separate permissions, then you cannot use the same db.cgi file and .pass file. You will have to use two separate db.cgi files and two .pass files.

This is the quick and dirty answer.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Different permissions on 2 DBs with common .pass/auth In reply to
Thanks for the reply Eliot. I guess then that the best solution would be to make the permissions on both databses the same (e.g. 1,1,1,0), but hide all references to add, mod, and del on the member database except on the Admin form. Do you see any potential security problems related to this (e.g. only admin should add to the member databse)?