Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Intra Site Search Engine

Quote Reply
Intra Site Search Engine
Wouldn't it be a great add on to the products list to have an intra site web based search engine. The search on this forum is good. A similar replicafor indexing and searching documents on a given site (for say upto 50.000 pages)should be a good add on product.

The Search Should have following:

Display Title, Header.

Highlight the search term

If possible highligh the search term also in the document to which it is linked to.

Possibility to split the whole site into smaller realms for purpose of indexing (reindexing) and search. This would be saving on BW in case of reindexing which can then be limited to specific realm only.

If Possible proximity search.

Good Admin Interface.

Just give it a thought.

Thnx

Anup

=_= =_= =_= =_= =_= =_=

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
-Mahatma Gandhi
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Intra Site Search Engine In reply to
take a look at htdig.org, they have an awesome search engine for indexing an entire site. you can set up a cron job to run the index each night and it runs itself. it's got some neat features in it.
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] Intra Site Search Engine In reply to
Hi,

htdig is one of the most aweful and troublesome intrasite search engine that i have ever come across. there are posts on their message board that when the site grows large the search takes as long as five minutes.

Better than that are following two:

FDSE from xav.com ($40)

Alkaline from vestris.com ($350)

Incidently both have granted a free commercial license for the amount of time that i have spent on them..Cool

Alkaline is blazing fast and they are working on Phrasal and Proximity search and their support staff is exceptional.....

There is a big fight on net between htdig and jaggernaut search engine. Attaching a file for the details on the Tech Fight where JS has challenged HTDIG for an open Benchmarking Test. That Fuzzy Logic of search really turns "Funny" where the accuracy of search is just lost amongst a bunch of non relevant urls.....

Wink

Thnx

Anup

=_= =_= =_= =_= =_= =_=

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
-Mahatma Gandhi
Quote Reply
>>
htdig is one of the most aweful and troublesome intrasite search engine that i have ever come across.
<<

If perldoc.com use it, it ain't as bad as you say Cool

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 4, 2002, 1:30 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Intra Site Search Engine In reply to
Hi,

Or probably caught in the bad habbit of offering "Resistance To Change" ... a big psychological problem. I wouldn't have posted an addon line this one. i don't know but the list of search engines that I tried ummm

Ksearch, perlfect, sitesearch, HomePageSearchEngine, FDSE, Alkaline, fluffysearch, thunderstone (limit of 10000 document on free version) ..... endless list. All too well for few thousands documents. But i have a site of 50,000 odd documents and ultimately have settled with FDSE and Alkaline. htdig ouch its a big PITA. The Fuzzy logic search is so confusing.
On perldoc.com i search for document and look what Fuzzy Logic says

document or documented or documenting or documenter or documents or documenters

Now I dont all these.....
And there can be no better experience than using Rigorously the "Space Between The Two Eyes" (I think i mentioned this somewhere) rather than Using The Eyes. One of the most popular use of eyes is Wink

Thnx

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Apr 4, 2002, 2:01 PM
Quote Reply
and the ones that work for you are great for you. htdig works well for what I use it for, has for years and the few occassions I needed support issues early on, their list was great. I've had sites with 15k or 20k docs in it and never a problem. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I'll stick with mine and be done with this.
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] Intra Site Search Engine In reply to
And I don't think i started this debate so i shall not be taking the trouble to end it. Its something like teswt driving all the available cars before finalizing on one or just hanging on to the "Love At First Sight" model.

And i don't think htdig or for that matter any of the search engines that I tried have WAP support.

Alkaline has WAP support where the search can be thru WAP enabled Mobile phones and to navigate to the document one can have the on the fly html to wml conversion.....

Last edited by:

anup123: Apr 4, 2002, 2:41 PM
Quote Reply
I don't see why you couldn't use the spider plugin for Links SQL to spider a local intranet site.

Sean