Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Look for FTP program

Quote Reply
Look for FTP program
Hello

I look for FTP program witch i can transfer files from server to another server without donwloading files to local comuter.

Thank advance
Bachir
Quote Reply
Re: [bachir] Look for FTP program In reply to
ftp, wget, both of which you should already have access to on your server if it is linux.

ftp -help
wget -help

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 13, 2002, 2:13 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [bachir] Look for FTP program In reply to
Hit google and search for FXP if you want to do it from a WIN based machine.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Look for FTP program In reply to
doesn't cuteftp do it too?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Look for FTP program In reply to
I think he said ftp from one server to another :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Look for FTP program In reply to
I think QooQ was getting at the fact that CuteFTP supports FXP Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Look for FTP program In reply to
Isn't FXP the foreign exchange protocol Wink
Quote Reply
LOl...more like Site-to-Site Transfers (FXP)

CuteFTP Entry;

Performing Site-to-Site Transfers (FXP)

CuteFTP Pro allows you to perform direct site-to-site transfers, simplifying the process of transferring files from one server to another. A site-to-site (S2S) transfer can greatly expedite a large file transfer by utilizing the bandwidth between the sending and receiving servers. Instead of downloading the file from one server to your PC and then uploading it to another server, transfer files from one site directly to the other.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Look for FTP program In reply to
I was kinda being sarcastic....FXP is the foreign exchange protocol though.
Quote Reply
Yeah..I guessed Wink Someone has been searching Google I take it....3rd one down for FXP search ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Umm nope.
Quote Reply
you all know that I'm a mac user. But I saw my friend do it with his version of cuteftp. I'm there are better apps out there but it was something I had seen done.

Angelic

Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Look for FTP program In reply to
You mean it supports FXP?......if you are using cuteftp you can't be transferring directly from one server to another though (unless of course the server is on your pc).
Quote Reply
Actually Paul...you can ;) You open up 2 sessions windows...and then drag and drop the files from one server window to the other. Works great, as long as both servers support FXP Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
What I like about my web hosting company is that they run Samba on the web servers, so if you're using Windows you can just map the directory on the server to a drive letter, or just access it using \\server.name.tld\folder so you can just move files to your webserver as it was another folder on your disk or on your network. Marvellous.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Look for FTP program In reply to
I can just login to my anon ftp site and drag and drop files. It's more to do with windows that the web server.
Quote Reply
Uhh. No. It's not. It's to do with the protocols your web server supports. My webserver is running Samba, so it supports SMB. The designers on the Mac can mount a directory on the server to their desktop using SMB://server/folder and I can do the same using Windows. It's not using FTP at all.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Look for FTP program In reply to
Hi there,

A couple of days ago, I tried to do a site to site transfer. I had to transfer a file of 240Mb (GM ;-) ), however, no more than 60 Mb were transfered, because I got a timeout.

Does anybody know why I got this?

Server is using Proftpd, I increased a lot timeout values in both servers, but had no success. As FTP program I was using CuteFTP.

Thanks!,

NArcís
Quote Reply
Re: [narcis] Look for FTP program In reply to
sh_t happens. I've always thought this was norm. Busy server, bad connection, what ever. I hated it when I was on regular dialup since I go do something else and get a time out. wasted telephone money Pirate