Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Databases and SQL :

Brief Review of MySQL Control Center (MyCC)

Quote Reply
Brief Review of MySQL Control Center (MyCC)
Don't know if you MYSQL users know about the MySQL Control Center application provided by MySQL, but it is pretty cool.

PROS:

1) Sleek User Interface (graphically shows PRI keys and I believe you can map relations (FK), but I haven't figured that out yet, also graphically shows indices).

2) Some queries download faster than web browser and telnet/ssh. Some SQL statements execute quite quickly like DELETE and INSERT.

3) Multi-window display helps to show historical SQL statements and current actions.

CONS:

1) System crashes with "large" queries. Kind of bad that I tried a simple SELECT of one of my "large" tables with 2,500 rows/records and my computer crashed. Yea, I quoted "large" because is is relative between my tables, not to the maximum number of rows that can be stored in MySQL tables. Your mileage may vary as I have really old computer at home - (64 MG/Ram, Pentium I, 32-bit Virtual Memory, Windows 95b).

2) Not very user-friendly in terms of SQL beginners. You have to know SQL in order to operate the application via the SQL pane.

3) Compared to other products like MS SQL Server Enterprise Manager, some of the screens are difficult to interpret (related to #2).

You can download MyCC at the http://www.mysql.com web site.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Apr 13, 2002, 9:48 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Brief Review of MySQL Control Center (MyCC) In reply to
>>(64 MG/Ram, Pentium I, 32-bit Virtual Memory, Windows 95b). <<

Im guessng that's why it crashed :)

Its not bad I guess but I prefer mysqlman.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 14, 2002, 2:50 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Brief Review of MySQL Control Center (MyCC) In reply to
Like I qualified PAUL, it's an old system. And the application BEATS MySQLMan in my opinion.

Buh bye!
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Brief Review of MySQL Control Center (MyCC) In reply to
Yep its not bad....it just a bit too mmm I can't think of the word......a bit "chunky"...especially for linux.

Its nice for windows though as you get to appreciate the gui.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Brief Review of MySQL Control Center (MyCC) In reply to
I think that "cumbersome" is a better term for installing MyCC in other operating systems than Windows. Compiling the app in other OS is a bear!

But it is a snap with Windows. Smile

One bad thing is that there is not an inuitive method of upgrading MyCC since I originally installed .8.1-alpha and now they have a .8-2-alpha version. Hate to uninstall the original version since I would have to re-setup all my hosting and view options.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Brief Review of MySQL Control Center (MyCC) In reply to
I have a newbie question on mysqlCC...

I cant get it to run, i installed it and i keep getting

[Marcio] ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'Marcio' (10061)

Marcio is my computers localhost name
Quote Reply
Re: [mars] Brief Review of MySQL Control Center (MyCC) In reply to
use "localhost" not your computer's name.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me