Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Virus Alert W32/Badtrans-B

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Virus Alert W32/Badtrans-B
Huge virus spreading the net like wildfire as we speak... Get patched up folks!

http://www.sophos.com/...es/w32badtransb.html

What a suprise?! It's another hole in another Microsoft product. Who on earth would of ever imagined this?

http://www.microsoft.com/...ulletin/MS01-020.asp

If another hole is exposed in a MS software I'm going to bloody sue them under the Trade Description act. Their so called software is an absolute joke.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Virus Alert W32/Badtrans-B In reply to
>>Note This update is included in Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 2.<<

So err a patch has been available for ages so if some fool didn't upgrade or apply the patch then tough tittie
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Virus Alert W32/Badtrans-B In reply to
Apache log today:

[Tue Nov 27 16:35:44 2001] [error] [client 213.106.169.204] File does not exist: e:/apache/htdocs/scripts/root.exe
[Tue Nov 27 16:35:44 2001] [error] [client 213.106.169.204] File does not exist: e:/apache/htdocs/msadc/root.exe
[Tue Nov 27 16:35:44 2001] [error] [client 213.106.169.204] File does not exist: e:/apache/htdocs/c/winnt/system32/cmd.exe
[Tue Nov 27 16:35:44 2001] [error] [client 213.106.169.204] File does not exist: e:/apache/htdocs/d/winnt/system32/cmd.exe
[Tue Nov 27 16:35:44 2001] [error] [client 213.106.169.204] File does not exist: e:/apache/htdocs/scripts/..%5c/winnt/system32/cmd.exe
[Tue Nov 27 16:35:44 2001] [error] [client 213.106.169.204] File does not exist: e:/apache/htdocs/_vti_bin/..%5c/..%5c/..%5c/winnt/system32/cmd.exe
[Tue Nov 27 16:35:45 2001] [error] [client 213.106.169.204] File does not exist: e:/apache/htdocs/_mem_bin/..%5c/..%5c/..%5c/winnt/system32/cmd.exe
[Tue Nov 27 16:35:45 2001] [error] [client 213.106.169.204] File does not exist: e:/apache/htdocs/msadc/..%5c/..%5c/..%5c/..Á/..Á/..Á/winnt/system32/cmd.exe
[Tue Nov 27 16:35:45 2001] [error] [client 213.106.169.204] File does not exist: e:/apache/htdocs/scripts/..Á/winnt/system32/cmd.exe
[Tue Nov 27 16:35:45 2001] [error] [client 213.106.169.204] File does not exist: e:/apache/htdocs/scripts/..À¯/winnt/system32/cmd.exe
[Tue Nov 27 16:35:45 2001] [error] [client 213.106.169.204] File does not exist: e:/apache/htdocs/scripts/..Áœ/winnt/system32/cmd.exe

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 27, 2001, 8:36 AM
Quote Reply
Yes. The default web browser that comes with Windows 98,ME or 2000.

I wonder how many users have actually upgraded to a service pack? I reckon... mmm, maybe 20% if they're lucky?!

When will Microsoft learn - stop dumping your buggy beta software on us! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

- wil
Quote Reply
>>stop dumping your buggy beta software on us!<<

Here's an idea....don't like it don't use it.

It is as simple as that.
Quote Reply
But when I'm getting over 1000 requests an hour for my sites and I can't access any of my favorite sites because Microsoft are bringing the net to it's knees - I get well pissed off.

Why don't they just leave the net alone :-\

- wil
Quote Reply
Lets not get carried away wil. The net isn't on its knees Laugh...its probaby your 28k modem.Cool

1000 hits an hour is the kind of traffic you'd get on a desert island in Outer Mongolia.

I think you need to understand that when you are developing a product as complexed as Microsofts then there are always going to be bugs - at least M$ have addressed and patched them.

Look at Links SQL - there are bug reports every other day but its still a great script.

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 27, 2001, 9:06 AM
Quote Reply
Sorry but I simply do not know of any other product manufacture in the world for any type of service or product that release major security bulletins as often as Microsoft do.

Look through the archive of the so called "security bulletins". It's hillarious! It is absolutely hillarious! Nearly everyone is very critical. I can't believe people still use and trust this crap. Seen the latest one out yesterday about the MSSQL database? That was laughable too.

Why release beta software? We all pay to be Microsoft's beta testers. Why should we?

Argh. When oh when will people learn.

- wil
Quote Reply
>>Argh. When oh when will people learn.
<<

Ha thats kinda ironic as its you thats complaining yet you continue to use M$ products.

Either stop compaining or use something else.

Whilst we are on the subject, what's all this crap about Linux being so great, yet you are obviously still using Windows/IE ?

I think a part of you knows you can't live without M$ Laugh
Quote Reply
I've got 3 machines. One running NT, one with 98 and another running Debian Potato at the moment.

As I work for a company I manage the NT box, and I need windows to run dreamweaver to intergrate with the other designers here. After Chrsitmas though I'm throwing the windows box out for a Mac G4. The time has come!

I always use my linux box for my work, though. And I tell a I lie, I've converted an old 166 to a FreeBSD machine to run MySQL and Apache. I'm hoping to trasnfer the NT file server over to that soon. Wipe that down (it's a heck of a machine - dual processer big server whoa) and then run that as a linux file server and we'll all be happy.

Gotta find some new faxing software instead of the crappy one being run on windows and i'll get everyone over to linux.

Should save the company a few thousand dollars and a lot more headaches. 90 upgrade of XP x 17 and a server license, exchange license <shudder> and office licenses v. a shiny new disc of linux for free. hmm.... i wonder.

no bugs, no going into work tomorrow morning at 8 to make sure all the PCs are fine and updated incase of this new virus threat. ahh.... what a pleasant life.

microsoft's spind doctors are worse than those of the labor government. they actually have you convinced that their software and the os they run on is actually good! fair play. i never thought they could actually convince a not-so-novice as yourself. I would of expected beter from you!

- wil
Quote Reply
This is interesting... one of my users clicked on a cached copy of a page on google and it tripped off his virus program (norton). It said that C:\temporary internet files\blah blah blah.html was infected with NIMDA virus. Has anyone encounter this? I'm pretty sure it's a false alarm (meaning a misinterpretation by Norton - I have the threshold set really high) but I was just curious.

Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Virus Alert W32/Badtrans-B In reply to
Yeah, it's ok, you don't have the virus but you should delete your temp internet files.
Quote Reply
>>microsoft's spind doctors are worse than those of the labor government. they actually have you convinced that their software and the os they run on is actually good! fair play. i never thought they could actually convince a not-so-novice as yourself. I would of expected beter from you!
<<

Nothing to do with spin-doctors, I use M$ software and operating system daily and my opinion is based on my experiences.

I've not had one virus after using Windows for 4yrs+

The people who get viruses are often the ones to blame and not Microsoft

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 27, 2001, 1:55 PM
Quote Reply
do it !!! getting a G4 for myself was never a msitake in my opinion!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
At my "real job", we are a M$ shop (mixture of Windows servers, including NT and 2000 machines, running different M$ services from IIS to Exchange), and we have applied all patches and upgraded all service packs on most of our servers with exception of two of our test servers, which are isolated from our network.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Nov 27, 2001, 6:45 PM
Quote Reply
Re: Virus Alert W32/Badtrans-B In reply to
why use outlook if it has so many problems ... I can't seem to remember if netscape has this problem too ... any body know?

why don't M$ folk use a different email package?

Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Virus Alert W32/Badtrans-B In reply to
In Reply To:
This is interesting... one of my users clicked on a cached copy of a page on google and it tripped off his virus program (norton). It said that C:\temporary internet files\blah blah blah.html was infected with NIMDA virus. Has anyone encounter this? I'm pretty sure it's a false alarm (meaning a misinterpretation by Norton - I have the threshold set really high) but I was just curious.

Hi

If you suspect Nimda being on your machine the following application might help you:

http://clients.fbagroup.co.uk/gt/Fixnimda.com

It's a small utility provided by [url=http://www.sophos.com]Sophos[/url] to detect and repait any trace of Nimda on your system.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Virus Alert W32/Badtrans-B In reply to
A lot of the office use Outlook for Task Sharing unfortunately. I'm using Eudora and currently testing Becky!.

My G4 has been ordered! I love those sexy towers a nice 1gig ethernet card as standard. Game on! :-)

Why are the users to blame Paul? If Microsoft release buggy software that is full of security holes why is that the users fault? In one sense it is the users fault if they downloaded the program - but if they supply the program with the OS not many users are going to download an alternative (Especially if you're still on a 28k connection).

Someone should seriosuly think of suing Microsoft over these security holes that keep appearing. If any senstivie data escapes from our offices from this latest MS exploit, then that person might just be me. I've had it up to my balls with these beta providers.

- wil
Quote Reply
Wil,
have you signed the petition at http://www.webmasterfreedom.org/

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com
Quote Reply
What a RIP OFF - $3500 for a G4 with dual 800mhz

You can get something much quicker than that for half the price.
Quote Reply
But you get the benefit of non-beta, non-crap, non-buggy, non-full-of-security-holes software.

- wil
Quote Reply
Oh that makes it worth the money then.

NOT
Quote Reply
Why are you so in love with Microsoft and their software? I would of thought a developer and a programmer like yourself would look for better more reliable solutions.

- wil
Quote Reply
hehe then why are pc chip manufactures giving up on megahertz benchmarking???

hmmm ... sure going cheaper might save you some money but from the start you have quality. better all around hardware fewer cut corners and you can pretty much newer technology way before it hits the PCs ... the first time in 3 years I needed a floppy was when I installed Mandrake ... err for the bootdisc. and for installing PC hardware like the ethernet card and to update something for my mother board. M$ went to CD install like when ??? w2000 or later version w98 wasn't it? errr tangent.

anyway ... sure you are paying more but in the long run I've saved money and time. Besides I don't have to check the M$ security update page every week.

800 megahertz for a mac is what a 1300 + megahertz in the wintel world.

come on the list goes on ...

Quote Reply
>>hmmm ... sure going cheaper might save you some money but from the start you have quality. <<

Ahem....AMD processors are better quality at half the price. Laugh

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 28, 2001, 7:13 AM
> >