Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

A war against Iraq?

(Page 5 of 18)
> > > >

Re: [galfriday] A war against Iraq? In reply to
Quote:
Sure.. let's go to war and kill all the bad guys.

You'd prefer all the bad guys to stay in power?

Re: [ArmyAirForces] A war against Iraq? In reply to
Quote:
Who's next for war? Hopefully nobody. But we live in a dangerous world and North Korea has its own agenda. Hopefully the Chinese will reign in their North Korean friends, a sense of calm will return, and serious dialog about reunion between north and south could resume.

I read this the other day:

http://www.topica.com/...ort=d&start=4389

It's an email from a person who attended the world economic forum not to long ago. It's a pretty scary read, especially this nation building part:

Quote:
I learned from American security and military speakers that, "We need
to attack Iraq not to punish it for what it might have, but
preemptively, as part of a global war. Iraq is just one piece of a
campaign that will last years, taking out states, cleansing the planet."

It seems to be authentic, have a read of:

http://research.yale.edu/...=article&sid=938

where the author verifies it (it was meant to be a private email between close friends that got forwarded enough times until it hit the internet).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Re: [Alex] A war against Iraq? In reply to
A reporter's opinion on talks she heard given by various people at Davos that she posted to the Internet? Myself, I prefer to get a little closer to the original source Wink

I think there might be a little cross fade between the War on Terrorism, which has stretched around the globe and will last for years, versus what's going to happen in Iraq.

I did have to laugh at her dilemma though. I just finished purging a user from my closed Topica list and filing a complaint with their provider before I read your post.

Hey you're not in Toronto "looking for horny girls and guys" are you? Ha! fortunately all new users to the list are moderated and their spam didn't get through to my list of 70 & 80 year old war widows! Yikes.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Mar 5, 2003, 3:28 PM

From Alex's link:

http://www.topica.com/...ort=d&start=4389

I learned that the US economy is the primary drag on the global economy,
and only a handful of nations have sufficient internal growth to thrive
when the US is stagnating.

I am not understanding this comment. What is described is the opposite of what was "learned"?

But there was a bright side:

The mood was very grim. Almost no parties, little fun. If it hadn't been
for the South Africans -- party animals every one of them -- I'd never
have danced. Thankfully, the South Africans staged a helluva party, with
Jimmy Dludlu's band rocking until 3am and Stellenbosch wines pouring
freely, glass after glass after glass....

--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading

I think the last paragraph is pretty much accurate. That's why the House of Lords annoys me so much. People who were lucky enough to be born as the son of a knight or lord or whatever, get to basically make decisions which affect the entire country. They don't live in the real world. They are rich, snobby and inexperienced. The whole reason fox hunting will never be banned is because most of the posh fools that sit in the House of Lords go hunting on their gigantic estates.

Quote:
Myself, I prefer to get a little closer to the original source

I don't get to talk to too many heads of states personally. =) I find this interesting as it wasn't reporting, but merely private observations. She didn't post this on the internet (and didn't post it to any mailing lists). It was a private email between friends. The Yale Lawmeme link is a good read on privacy, and the implications for email when it's so easy to just hit fwd.

There were a lot of other interesting parts as well. The Al Qaeda numbers for one.

Besides, who would have thought David Stern was hugable? Not I, especially after what he did to Vancouver. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

heh heh...

From Ask Men.com

http://www.askmen.com/...50b_david_stern.html

woman magnetism

In the NBA, women have enough choice among the players, they don't need a sexagenarian, overweight Manhattan native (direct and rude, yes, but an accurate description of Mr. Stern) to tickle their fancy. Not that Mr. Stern cares, he has a loving wife.

Last edited by:

galfriday: Mar 6, 2003, 6:06 PM

Re: [lanerj] A war against Iraq? In reply to
Can you prove that he doesn't have any? He can't (or won't). U.N. Security Council has proven that he does have missiles that go beyond the agreed upon range, missiles that Sadam said he didn't have. And today we find out that he has drone aircraft and cluster bombs that Sadam had specialy made to spread chemical and biological agents. This was in Hans Blix report to the U.N. Is it safe to say we can believe this or is this U.S. propaganda also? Oh by the way didn't Sadam say he didn't have anything else besides the Al Somoud missiles? He has lied continuously to the U.N. and is getting away with it again. When is the world going to wake up? He is a terrorist and a liar. He would, has, and will turn on those that support him or allow him to make fools of them. Something needs to be done soon. I am not opposed to continued inspections, but how long does the U.N. plan to give Iraq to disarm? France, Russia, Germany, and China have not stated how long. All they can say is don't go to war, let the inspections continue. We have been dealing with this man now for 12 years. It is time he is delt with.

There is NO hard evidence that Saddam Hussein is linked to Al Qaeda -- whatīs more, Colin Powell had such a lame response to the confirmation that his "evidence" of WMD was false that itīs pitiful. Gimme a break -- you took it "on good faith"??? How naive can you get? Even tyrants like Milosevic and Saddam are smarter!

Where do you get your information from -- somebody "dependable", like Jerry Falwell, or Michael Estrada?

Our country does not have a tradition of "righteously" initiating wars. The real losers in this war are going to be ordinary people -- the Iraqis, Americans, British, Spanish, and anybody else that decides to get involved. Tremendous quantities of hate are going to be generated. And hate is the most powerful weapon of mass destruction that exists.

I am 100% against this war. Not because Saddam is not a tyrant -- he is, without a doubt. But even if he is defeated, this war will help create more problems for our country than many ever dreamed possible. We can defeat Saddam, just as we can defeat terrorism, with persistence, diligent police work, courage, and patience. Jumping the gun is going to be VERY expensive. You donīt believe me? Wait and see.

Re: [CMC] A war against Iraq? In reply to
There is in fact some evidence, both governmental & non-governmental (PBS - wideangle, "Saddam's Ultimate Solution" July 11, 2002), that Saddam has provided technical assistance to Al Qaeda.

The real winners of this war will be the citizens of a self governed Iraq, and the GCC states, as they march toward ever increasing personal freedoms and quality of life. The Palestinians will also win as there will be one less agitator intervening in a peace process that now stands a chance of achieving real and measurable progress.

Saddam has not been defeated in the last 12 years specifically because there was little courage or diligence.

A peaceful solution was possible, as long as the Security Council presented a united front and offered tangible punishment for continued Iraqi gamesmanship. The deliberate sabotage of 1441 by the French has led us directly to war.

I have no personal jibes to offer, can you reply without them?

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Mar 16, 2003, 3:40 PM

Quote:
There is NO hard evidence that Saddam Hussein is linked to Al Qaeda

As was said to another user a while ago, unless you work for the government or the FBI and have a fairly senior position then comments like that are hollow and of no substance. The mistake a lot of people seem to make is assuming there is no evidence just because they personally haven't read or heard anything.

Quote:
Jumping the gun is going to be VERY expensive

Is waiting 12 years jumping the gun? Sly

Re: [Paul] A war against Iraq? In reply to
Quote:
Is waiting 12 years jumping the gun?
What I don't understand is why the 12 year wait. Surely Saddam kicking the weapons inspectors out of Iraq some years ago was grounds enough.
I know things have changed since S11 but what really has changed with Iraq, and whats this running out of time stuff I don't get that.
As for Iraqs military capabilities, read this -
http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/20020930.asp
there really not much of a threat to anyone.
Anyway I wish they would hurry up and get the thing started. I've checked the tv guide for the next month and there is bugger all on the telly, and I do like a good war story.
When it kicks off I'll invite the guys up and we can crack open a couple of slabs of long necks and order in a few pizzas. It'll be just like the footy final really.
Then I can get some pools going at work like, estimate how many civilians will die or guess the time and date or the first US casulity, or estimate how long it will take before they get Saddam. I'll take a stab at the last one. I'de say about a month. 2 weeks to flatten Baghdad (it is a rather large city) and 2 weeks of sorting through the rubble before they find the enterance to Saddams bunker.
Actually I have some hollidays coming up soon, I wonder if Bush wouldn't mind holding off for a month until I can take them. Then I can watch it all day, wouldn't want to miss any good bits.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com.au

Iraq In reply to
Anyone from Iraq here?
In Reply To:

Ah, yes. The FBI. Perhaps we should ask Coleen Rowley about that outfit. I suppose, then, that this unquestionably efficient organization is going to do a better job with Saddam than they did with 9/11.

In those 12 years you mention, Bush I, who could have finished the job, didnīt. He then could say he handed over a nation at peace to Clinton. Now, his son has decided that weīve got to attack Iraq, for purely altruistic reasons, of course. And you donīt want to question that? Oh, but North Korea isnīt an immediate threat, of course, with that nutty leader capriciously launching missiles. Not to worry. I see our Administration as being rather suspiciously selective in the dictators they go after.

Last edited by:

CMC: Mar 16, 2003, 9:44 PM

In Reply To:
Quote:
There is NO hard evidence that Saddam Hussein is linked to Al Qaeda

As was said to another user a while ago, unless you work for the government or the FBI and have a fairly senior position then comments like that are hollow and of no substance. The mistake a lot of people seem to make is assuming there is no evidence just because they personally haven't read or heard anything.

Quote:
Jumping the gun is going to be VERY expensive

Is waiting 12 years jumping the gun? Sly

No. As was pointed out to you in another thread it's about reading history books. Understanding the background of both people, groups of peoples and countries and understanding the religious beliefs that makes them enemies -- not allies.

- wil

Quote:
Anyway I wish they would hurry up and get the thing started. I've checked the tv guide for the next month and there is bugger all on the telly, and I do like a good war story.
When it kicks off I'll invite the guys up and we can crack open a couple of slabs of long necks and order in a few pizzas. It'll be just like the footy final really.

Yes, I feel rather voyeuristic and a bit freaky for saying so but I find the thought of watching the war on tv quite intreaguing....not so much people being killed but just the whole experience. Obviously I'll probably never experience a war first hand and so I guess it's the only way I will see what goes on.

Quote:
In those 12 years you mention, Bush I, who could have finished the job, didnīt.

Well make your mind up...first you are saying war is wrong then you say Bush should have already finished the job.

Quote:
Now, his son has decided that weīve got to attack Iraq, for purely altruistic reasons, of course.

Yes, subjectively that is the reason, of course factually, neither of us can comment.

Quote:
Oh, but North Korea isnīt an immediate threat, of course, with that nutty leader capriciously launching missiles.

Has he killed over 1 million of his own people?

Quote:
I see our Administration as being rather suspiciously selective in the dictators they go after.

Well perhaps you'd like them to start two wars at the same time...wouldn't that be fun?

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 17, 2003, 3:13 AM

This morning France and the other opposing countries have said they won't budge and so the inspectors have been told to get out of Iraq as quick as possible....looks like war within a day or two. Tony Blair is holding an emergency cabinet meeting at 4pm today.

Scary stuff.

Quote:
Obviously I'll probably never experience a war first hand and so I guess it's the only way I will see what goes on.
Yes well I say the first Golf war and I was not a pretty sight.
A lot of people died during that war, there were dead bodies for hundreds of miles. When Iraq was in full retreat the coalition just annihiliated them.
http://www.businessweek.com/...03026_0167_db052.htm
http://www.cnn.com/...f.war/facts/gulfwar/
and this is something I didn't know about GW1
http://www.wsws.org/...p1999/gulf-s08.shtml
After you see this one you won't be supporting another.

Bob

Quote:
the first Golf war

Was that between Tiger Woods and Ernie Els? Wink

As a citizen of the great United Kingdom, what makes you sure that you won't be called up for this war?

- wil

Re: [Wil] A war against Iraq? In reply to
They wouldn't let Paul go. To many defects.

Bob

They know not to ask me anyway as they know I'd tell them to go jump.

You are right about the defects though...for starters I only have one leg so I'd have to crawl.

In Reply To:
They don't live in the real world. They are rich, snobby and inexperienced.

Mmm...my dads in the House Of Lords....whats your address again? Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Re: [Andy] A war against Iraq? In reply to
I see no Newby's here:

http://www.labour.org.uk/...rsofthehouseoflords/
> > > >