Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

A war against Iraq?

(Page 15 of 18)
> > > >

Re: [Paul] A war against Iraq? In reply to
Hah...I was just laughing about that.

Real inspiring of Saddam to encourage the Iraqi people to die for his regime, but not even bother to appear on video tape - let alone address his people live.

At some point those folks have to ask themselves where Saddam really is.

Re: [ArmyAirForces] A war against Iraq? In reply to
Saddam, in my opinion, would love to comment on the war so far especially regarding civilian deaths. I'm beginning to think more and more that he's seriously injured or dead.

*OR*

Maybe he's actually very clever and knows that by appearing in public there's a possiblity his location can be traced.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 1, 2003, 9:54 AM

He's certainly clever. But I don't see how hiding out helps him at all. Without the threat of Saddam hanging over the military and the population, it won't be long before the Baath apparatchiks start looking for new identity cards.

And a great bit of news as the pace of operations & momentum picks up, the rescue of one US POW. Also news that the remains of other US personnel were found there in the hospital where she was being held/treated (we hope) for wounds.

With the horrific stories coming out of Southern Iraq about what the Baath thugs and the Fedayeen have been doing to fellow Iraqis - let's hope that Iraq's regular military holds the other POWs. I note by comparison that the International Red Cross has already begun visiting Iraqi POWs held by the coalition.

Well he could be hiding out in his bunker.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/...aq_germany_bunker_dc

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com.au

Re: [lanerj] A war against Iraq? In reply to
Interesting stuff eh? There's been a lot of research put into the bunker buster program...and they know about this specific bunker design.

It will be interesting after this war to see how effective they've both been.

Ugh, the company who built the tunnels and bunkers should be held accountable =(

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 2, 2003, 6:18 AM

Think of it as an engineering problem. The bunker was designed to survive while these weapons were designed to defeat it.

How much damage would a surface nuclear detonation do versus weapons designed specifically to penetrate before detonating? Plus, the bunker buster can be put in at an angle at very specific locations.

Not to mention that our aircraft operate over Baghdad with impunity and drop them at will.

What I mean though is that this company shouldn't be making bunkers for an evil dictator.

Interesting takes on the war, or as I call them - Night & Day:

Day article here - link (John Keegan).

Night article here - link (Robert Fisk who apparently hasn't met any Iraqi propaganda that he didn't like).

Won't be too much longer before reality is evident, and one of them is discredited. Place your bets!

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Apr 2, 2003, 4:20 PM

Mmmh,

I didn't read all the postings here (but some) for there are to many.

But there are quite some issues im wondering of about the Iraq-War:

1. Where are all the mass-destruction-weapons of Saddam the Bush-Administration is talking about every day? As far as I know the UN-Inspectors haven't found any nor the US- or British army so far.

I'm not sure anymore, if Saddam really has any left, else he would have used them until now, I think.

2. The Bush-Administration is talking about establishing peace, democracy and law in the Iraq. How they want to do that if they make war, care a shit about democracy if the results are not what THEY want (see majority against war in the UN) and care a shit about laws (see international laws [don't allow preventive wars] and see international human rights [Guantanamo Bay])?????

3. What has the Iraq to do with international terrorism? I don't think a war is the right way, but I fully agree that Saddam is quite a danger, a dictator and has to be removed from the leadership of Iraq.

I think this war is just a maneuver to divert from the fact that the Bush-Administration still hasn't got Ossama bin Laden or any other important international terrorist.

4. What should the new world-order be, Bush is always talking of? Should it be that the UN is obsolet, the US is allowed to do everything they want whether the rest of the world agrees or not and the US selects its partners by if they do what they want or not?? No thanks, that's not the world I want to live in!

I think the Bush-Adminstration has turned the strenght of law to the law of the strongest !

Here a little joke:

George W. (the cowboy) Bush is on his propaganda-tour visiting american schools. The boys and girls are allowed to ask him some questions.

First the little Bob ask the president:

I have 3 questions Mr. President:

1. Why did you get president although you lost the election ?

2. Don't you think the biggest terroristic act the world has ever seen was the bomb on Hiroshima?

3. Why do you attack the Iraq without a reason?

Suddenly the bell rings and the pupils are runnig out of the classroom. After the break Frank is asking the president:

Mr. President, I have five questions to you:

1. Why did you get president although you lost the election ?

2. Don't you think the biggest terroristic act the world has ever seen was the bomb on Hiroshima?

3. Why do you attack the Iraq without a reason?

4. Why did the break began 20 minutes earlier than usal today?

5. Where is Bob ?

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.

Last edited by:

ManuGermany: Apr 3, 2003, 12:05 AM

Re: [ManuGermany] A war against Iraq? In reply to
Quote:
1. Where are all the mass-destruction-weapons of Saddam the Bush-Administration is talking about every day? As far as I know the UN-Inspectors haven't found any nor the US- or British army so far.

I'm not sure anymore, if Saddam really has any left, else he would have used them until now, I think.

I guess that's what the coalition are hoping to find once they win the war. Don't speak to soon though about him using them - as the troops get closer to Baghdad things could get messy.

Quote:
3. What has the Iraq to do with international terrorism?

For starters they have a terrorist training camp in the north which the US bombed about a week ago killing several terrorists.

Quote:
I guess that's what the coalition are hoping to find once they win the war

Of course they hop to find - just because they never had any evidence just a suspicion.

But I still say a war without proofed reasons is not and could never be legal. Else you can also get onto the electric chair hoping that the needed evidence would be found after you are dead.

Quote:
For starters they have a terrorist training camp in the north which the US bombed about a week ago killing several terrorists.

Mhh.. that maybe right, I never heard about this. But if it's right, I think this isn't/wasn't a big problem.

There are and were other training camps which were financed by the US because these terrorists attacked regimes which the US wanted to.

By the way, I'm not totally against war against the Iraq, but I am against this war because there is no mandat/resolution from the United Nations!

But the silliest thing of this war is that now the alliance fights against a regime which formerly was delivered by us all with weapons and devices to produce mass-destruction-weapons (e.g. United States, France, Germany, Russia) as they made war against the Iran an later on too.

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.

Quote:
Of course they hop to find - just because they never had any evidence just a suspicion.

Bush, Powell, Rumsfeld have all stated outright that Saddam does have WMD's. They haven't said he "might" have, they've said he "does" have. I guess they trust their intelligence sources to be accurate.

Quote:
Mhh.. that maybe right, I never heard about this. But if it's right, I think this isn't/wasn't a big problem.

It's thought they were responsible for creating chemicals found in Europe such as the ricin....I'd consider that a problem =)

In Reply To:
Quote:

If it did kill several terrorists...then good Smile You saw how much destruction and death a select few terrorists caused on 7/11 ... isn't that enough reason to rid the world of every terrorist, until people are so scared that they won't become terrorists?

(I'm gonna get roasted for that comment...I can tell...lol).

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Quote:
Bush, Powell, Rumsfeld have all stated outright that Saddam does have WMD's. They haven't said he "might" have, they've said he "does" have. I guess they trust their intelligence sources to be accurate.

Uuuh, I think you're the best example for the method of repeating things again and again until people belive them whether they are true or not.

If they really know that Saddam has these weapons why couldn't they give any evidence of their assertion to the UN to get a resolution for this war and why didn't they give their intelligence-"perceptions" to the UN-inspectors so they were able to find them in Iraq??????

As I said, the Bush-Administration wasn't able until today to give any evidence of the existance of mass-destruction-weapons in Iraq. All they were able to was saying that it is so and it must be true because they say it's true.

Regards,
Manu

Re: [Andy] A war against Iraq? In reply to
Quote:
You saw how much destruction and death a select few terrorists caused on 7/11 ... isn't that enough reason to rid the world of every terrorist, until people are so scared that they won't become terrorists?

I totally agree with you!

But why don't they concentrate on catching Bin Laden & Co. (maybe they're not able to do so???)

And have you ever thought about the effect this war has??

The world would get more terrorists than ever seen. Before this war, nearly the whole arabic/islamic population in the middle east hated Saddam (one reason was that he doesn't care about the islam).

And now, nearly the whole population in the region suddenly things that Saddam is a hero and they are all with im in his war against the "imperialistic and arrogant United States".

For example the Egypt Administration has enormous problems, as well as the one of Saudi Arabia because they're acting against the wishes of their inhabitants and are helping the US.

Warriors from nearly all nations around Iraq are going to Iraq to help the Iraq-Army by blowing themself up hoping to kill as many american and british soldiers as they can.

And most of the Iraq people don't like the amaricans at all!

I'm watching german and american news (CNN) and what is really clear to me is that in american news lots of aspects of this war aren't told just because it doesn't fit into the national interests and could make people think in another way about the war. (A way of information warfare in the own country)

Regards,
Manu

Last edited by:

ManuGermany: Apr 3, 2003, 2:31 AM

Quote:
I'm watching german and american news (CNN) and what is really clear to me is that in american news lots of aspects of this war aren't told just because it doesn't fit into the national interests and could make people think in another way about the war. (A way of information warfare in the own country)

Yes...but the countries involved are not simply going to stop the war, just because peoples opinion has changed. When you start a war, you finish it. Either by winning, or loosing. Its a simple method...which is why I'm so confused about these 'anti-war' protestors that I keep seeing in the streets around me Crazy

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Quote:
Uuuh, I think you're the best example for the method of repeating things again and again until people belive them whether they are true or not.

I have to repeat them because a lot of people seem to believe the media over the government =)

Re: [Andy] A war against Iraq? In reply to
Of course they can't stop the war!

But they can use their freedom of speach to show the world and their government that they don't agree.

And I think this is much better than let everything just happen.

Doing nothing is often interpreted as agreeing.

Regards,
Manu

I don't believe the media more than the government! But also not the other way round!

All I "ask" for is a proof for what they say!

Regards,
Manu

Last edited by:

ManuGermany: Apr 3, 2003, 2:50 AM

Quote:
All I "ask" for is a proof for what they say!

And all I ask from you is proof that they are wrong =)

Quote:
And all I ask from you is proof that they are wrong =)

That's like I would ask you to proof that you are NOT a murderer! If you can't persuade me so you must be a murder.

Regards,
Manu

Quote:
That's like I would ask you to proof that you are NOT a murderer! If you can't persuade me so you must be a murder.

The government has said they have evidence. I really don't think they'd announce it to the world if they were lying. The fact that you personally don't know the full extent of the evidence is not reason to believe they have no evidence. As General Myers has said quite a few times recently, the objective at the moment is to topple the regime, not hunt for WMD's. When Baghdad is secure then there will be thorough searches.

Hi Paul,

you're right the Bush Administration said they have evidence, but it is still fact that they weren't able to show this to anyone even not to get a legal basis for this war in the UN.

O.K., I think this discussion leads to nothing more. We pointed out our opinions. You belive the Bush-Administration and I'm still waiting (as more than 85% of the europeans including the british people) for a real evidence.

I hope this war is really soon finished and we should stop the discussion at this point because we made our points clear.

Regards,
Manu

Quote:

This war has been underway 14 days now. You are ready now to say categorically that there are no WMD?

As to the use of WMD. Consider that while Saddam may have ordered the use of WMD's, it's the personnel in the field who have to carry out that order. The US has made it exceedingly clear that the use of such weapons will result in immediate and final consequences. It's not like gassing the Kurds who couldn't fight back.

The command and control functions within the Iraqi "defences" are seriously degraded. Nobody there or here knows if Saddam is alive. There's been no proof of his status in the last 14 days. . . but it's a little early.

Quote:
3. What has the Iraq to do with international terrorism?

Iraq has been on the US State Department list of countries supporting terrorism for many years. Several expatriate terrorist groups maintain offices in Baghdad, including the Arab Liberation Front, the inactive 15 May Organization, the Palestine Liberation Front (PLF), the Abu Nidal organization (ANO), and Mujahedin-e Khalq (MEK). I should note that Abu Nidal died under interesting circumstances this last year.

Quote:

Should it be that the UN is obsolet,

The UN had 12 years to address the Iraq issue, and its solution was to walk away in the late-1990s content to administer the Oil for Food program. Given a final chance, the UN offered the pretext of resolve but Saddam knew the UN would fail from within and he acted accordingly.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Apr 3, 2003, 8:46 AM
> > > >