Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Permissions and Status Idea

Quote Reply
Permissions and Status Idea
If within the Community admin center it allowed the setting of status (editor/moderator/group moderator/etc...) it might make user management a bit more efficient if you are running multiple applications.

I do understand that this might get tricky based upon specific categories that are assigned to an editor or moderator but it would be nice to eventually have a single admin intface for all users in all programs.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jan 23, 2003, 12:51 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Permissions and Status Idea In reply to
How do you really gain anything that way over setting it in the individual programs? Perhaps some sort of link to the take you to the modify user screen for each application would make more sense. I don't think Community itself should know or need to know anything about the programs installed under it beyond basic identification and authentication.

That way, a new Gossamer Forum ability does not require a change to community, and the code to set a Gossamer Forum moderator is in just one place - Gossamer Forum.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Permissions and Status Idea In reply to
That would work as well Jason. As long as Community could see what needed to be done and add the link when needed.

I am just looking at ways to minimize efforts and potentially redundant tasks on the admin side.

Thanks!

Brian
Quote Reply
Would that also make the user select if they want mailings/Newsletter or not? It seems that user option is gone by signing up via Community?

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Permissions and Status Idea In reply to
The newsletter is still available via the application but I do see it as something that would be natural in community as well. Good point!
Quote Reply
This is probably going to be an on-going issue ;)

"Community" brings to mind different ideas in people, but from other companies, it usually means links, mail, chat, home pages, etc all bundled into one package.

Maybe you should change the name to "Community Central" or "Community Control", to indicate the control center nature of this particular program.

"Gossamer Community" would then become the a la carte selection of programs people wanted to add into the community central to create their site.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Permissions and Status Idea In reply to
Probably. =) Once we flush this out a bit more, we will add applications and improve the product pages to make this concept a lot more clear.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Jason,

I think the Community plugin should central all the groups permissions and allows to set and use the groups permissions with all the scripts (even with Links SQL and GMail).

Example: Someone made a donation to my site. My site is a combinaison of Gforum, Links SQL and GMail. To thank him for the donation, I put this person (user) in a specific group in Gforum. The users of this specific group have special access to somes forums of my site and, contrarery to the others users, they don't see any banner publicity and popup on my site. So everything still great when this person stay in the forum. But when he goes on Links SQL or GMail, the banners and popups could "not" be blocked because the groups permissions doesn't work in these scripts.

I think the Community plugin should central all the users profile informations and all the users groups permissions. Links SQL and GMail should be set a way to works with the groups permissions of the Community plugin (at least with simple tags: <%if current_user is included in this_group%> ... <%endif%>.

François

Last edited by:

Franco: Jul 10, 2003, 11:05 PM