Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Community updating Links password

Quote Reply
Community updating Links password
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get Community to automatically update Links users' passwords from the beginning. I am having issues with Links that won't let me update users profiles/fields because the password field is blank.

I know that Community updates the password in LInks when you modify your password in Community for example but it doesn't do that unless the person actually does an update from Community (manually) from what I have understood.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Community updating Links password In reply to
Hi,

Nothing should ever authenticate off the Links Password field, so it should be left blank. I was pretty sure we fixed this in newer Links or Community so that it is ok to have a blank password. Can you give me the exact error message and steps you took to see the error and I'll look into this.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Community updating Links password In reply to
Hi Alex,

I maybe didn't explain properly. My main issue is that when I have for example a user that posts an image of himself/herself and there is something wrong with it like the filename I cannot validate it in Links and if I reject the modification and try adding the saved photo to the user's profile in Links it will say Password column cannot be left blank.

This is also valid for other modifications to other fields and I cannot change anything if the users haven't modified their passwords at some point through Community.

Hence I was trying to find some way for Community to put an encrypted version of the password in Links. So from what you are saying a password in the Links password field when it authenticates off Community would be ignored ? So I should be able to put anything in the password column if I come across this problem again or would that also create problems for me ?

Thanks,

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Community updating Links password In reply to
Hi John,

Rather then trying to copy the password from Community, you'd be better off modifying links to not require a password. Goto Database->Users->Properties and make the Password field allowed to be Null.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Community updating Links password In reply to
Thanks Alex,

And on top of that it's a simple thing to do, I mean even I can do that :)

Thanks again for helping me out here

John
Significant Media