Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

User Activation

Quote Reply
User Activation
Hi, I was wondering if there's any possibility that there'll be a user account creation feature for multi-user Fileman in the near future. I need to create 100 accounts at the same time, and it would be great if the users could create it themselves.

If possible, I'd love this feature even without email confirmation (I can tell all 100 users to create their accounts within the space of a day or so).

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [arabiafish] User Activation In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I do not think this feature will be added into the next release version of Fileman which is a small custom job, but we can provide you with the script if you wish.

TheStone.

B.
Quote Reply
Re: [TheStone] User Activation In reply to
That would be absolutely wonderful! Should I email you, or will you attach it here once you're finished?

Just a list of things that it would be nice to have within user activations (of course, these are only suggestions. anything is good!)

user visits fileman.cgi and is presented with a small "sign up" link in addition to their usual log-in box. user clicks through and fills out their username, name, email, and password. user receives email notifying them of their signup, and administrator views list of all newly signed up users upon his/her next log-in. if the admin wants to approve the signup, they fill out additional info (disk limit, options, etc.) or just click "ok" for the default settings; then the server creates new directory for user. once confirmed, user receives another email confirming account activation.

Just a thought: I've noticed while reading through forum messages that there are many files (one example being the updated "cgi.pm" file necessary to log in to v2.0.3) which are scattered across messages that many people would love to use. Perhaps they could all be uploaded into one central location, like "mods" or "updates"?

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Hi,

I will get back to you as soon as I'm finished.

TheStone.

B.
Quote Reply
Thanks! I have to say, you're amazingly fast to respond to these posts.
Quote Reply
any updates or any idea when you'll be finished?

thanks again!
Quote Reply
Hey thestone, it's been a few weeks. :) Any updates? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Hi,

There are two attached files which should replace /private_path/lib/FileMan/Admin.pm and /private_path/templates/signup_form.html.
You need to change the $PRIV_PATH within Admin.pm which should be the path to your private folder.

Also, you should add the html below into the user modify form ( admin_user_record.html ) for approving a new users. :

Approve:
<select name="Registered">
<option value="0">Yes</option>
<option value="1" <%if Registered%>selected<%endif%>>No</option>
</select>

TheStone.

B.
Quote Reply
Thank you so much!!! This will be extremely useful. I'm going to go try it now.

Smile
Quote Reply
How should I access the signup form now that it's in templates (and in a private folder... and kind of inaccessible)? Or do I not directly access the signup page? If not, how can I get to it?

I tried changing all the links to absolute ones, then placing it in a different folder and then accessing it, but got this message:

A fatal error has occured:

GT::Mail::Parts (27068): Wrong argument passed to this subroutine. Usage: $obj->set ($tag, $value, $pos); $pos is optional but $tag and $value is not at /home/virtual/site11/fst/var/www/cgi-bin/lockers/private/lib/GT/Mail/Parts.pm line 169.

Thanks.

Last edited by:

arabiafish: Nov 27, 2002, 1:00 AM
Quote Reply
You can use the URL below:

fileman.cgi?do=signup_form

TheStone.

B.

Last edited by:

TheStone: Nov 27, 2002, 4:41 PM
Quote Reply
Ok, thanks.

The same error occurs:

A fatal error has occured:

GT::Mail::Parts (32582): Wrong argument passed to this subroutine. Usage: $obj->set ($tag, $value, $pos); $pos is optional but $tag and $value is not at /home/virtual/site11/fst/var/www/cgi-bin/lockers/private/lib/GT/Mail/Parts.pm line 169.

Please enable debugging in setup for more details.

I made all the changes as requested and replaced all files.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
I'm afraid it still comes up with the same error. (see two posts above.) I placed everything in the correct folders and added code as directed. Could you check and see if there's anything wrong with the new files?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
oops, apologies.. i accidentally posted two in a row because i didn't see the first one go through.

is there some reason i can't edit/delete any of those posts?...

still have the problem. :) thanks!
Quote Reply
In addition:

No users can log in any longer. The administrator can log into the main account, but no users can log into their own accounts. The browser log shows that they've logged in, but all that happens is a perpetual busy sign-- it never reaches the actual fileman window.