Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

readme.txt and directory structure?

Quote Reply
readme.txt and directory structure?
In the readme.txt file I find myself getting a little confused.

2. Installation

I read "I recommend creating a directory called links off your cgi-bin. You'll end up with a structure like:"

- /cgi-bin/links/admin

but, I then read:

4. Edit links.cfg - /links/cgi-bin/admin

In "4." I read "if you kept the default installation, it will be one level below the admin directory"

To me they do not look the same. :)

Perhaps the above is a test, of some sort.

Any advice on the best root to go here?

Richard
"Be practical, expect miracles." - James T. McCay
Quote Reply
Re: [Tricky Ricky] readme.txt and directory structure? In reply to
Go with --/cgi-bin/links/admin/ 'cause your server looks for the TLD first, then goes into the CGI-bin; it won't find the bin using --/links/cgi-bin/admin.

Your HTML files can go straight into your www (public, whatever) directory, but is cleaner to go into a subdirectory: --/links/pages/. Of course, you can rename these files to whatever you want. (--/gt/)

Your next point does seem odd. I did not look into my readme to compare. But this:

In "4." I read "if you kept the default installation, it will be one level below the admin directory"

...means the links.cfg file is one level below, INSIDE, the admin file. (Yeah, I'm mixing up file, folder, and directory. So?) One level above would be --cgi-bin/links. This is done 'cause the admin directory should be protected, but the files in --cgi-bin/links need to be accesible to your users.

Are you having problems getting the script to run, or was this just an observation?

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] readme.txt and directory structure? In reply to
Hi Leonard,

Really two things. an observation and I am having trouble trying to get the script running on the server that I want to use for production.

I was just on the phone with the Tech Support guy - a really great guy, and neither of us was having any luck. They are using Plesk and everything is configured very, very tight. No "installation" of scripts on the servers. I am getting an "fopen: Permission denied" messages as well as "Premature end of script headers" message in the error log.

I have installed Links on an other server running Solaris, where everything installs easily and I can install almost anything. I may just have my domains moved to the other servers, there are just too many hassles like this.

Any thoughts on good hosting?

Richard

Richard
"Be practical, expect miracles." - James T. McCay
Quote Reply
Re: [Tricky Ricky] readme.txt and directory structure? In reply to
I have heard that Plesk servers can be difficult. I have the Fluid Dynamics Search Engine on a host that uses Plesk, and it installed and runs with no problems. But then, those xav scripts require no set-up, really. Plug n play, ya might say...

My main host is Future Quest, and I have been VERY happy with them. The disk space for their basic package is only 50 meg, but the quality, service, and ease-of-use keep me there. You can easily make changes to your scripts right on the server, which is great for adding mods. My other host, with the search engine, offers almost no user features, but for about the same price as FQ I get a gig of space! Those search indexes can be rather large, which is why I use them. I can operate that script using it's own admin, similar to Links.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie