Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Verify Links Error: Wrong Version of Perl???

Quote Reply
Verify Links Error: Wrong Version of Perl???
I'm running the final version of Links 2.0 on a FreeBSD system. Everything works fine except the Verifying Links feature.

When I try to run either a Quick or Detailed Check, I get the following error:

Error Loading System Libraries. Reason: Perl 5.004 required--this is only version 5.003, stopped at /home/me/public_html/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-verify.cgi line 32.

Now, I am quite sure that my ISP is running a version of Perl higher than 5.003 --

bash$ /usr/local/bin/perl -v
This is perl, version 5.004_04 built for i386-freebsd

I'm stumped. Any suggestions of how to get the Verify Links feature to work?

Quote Reply
Re: Verify Links Error: Wrong Version of Perl??? In reply to
Make sure the first line of nph-verify.cgi says:

Quote:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

It may point someplace else.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited April 16, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thanks, but nph-verify.cgi is indeed pointing to #!/usr/local/bin/perl

Stranger still: I can run the script just fine from the command line. I only get the error when I try to run it from the web page.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Weird. For some reason I can't run verify from the web but can from the command line too...I don't get an actual error message, but the verify process will freeze up after a while.

Bobsie wrote a great mod that saves bad links to an html page for easy browsing whenever you want. Since I like the output better anyway, I'm just using that and running verify from the command line.

Still, I'd have a chat with your host about what's going on--that doesn't sound right to me! Wink
Quote Reply
Brad,

Why do you think I wrote that mod for? I can't run nph-verify.cgi from the web either. It just stops after about 6 links and right in the middle of one of the status messages. But, like you, I do not get the wrong version of perl message.