Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

problems with the first start

Quote Reply
problems with the first start
Hello to everyone :-)!
i have a problem with the script, i can fully admin the script at the admin directory, but when i will see the normaly start site for users i get an error,
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /links/pages/ on this server.
i think i made the error, the start directory (users comes from other side) where is it? i have create www.das-surfbrett.de/links/pages/ i read it from the readme.txt and thought that are the start directory?!? i can add categoryīs and links but i donīt can see where they will add...
p.s. iīm german and sorry for my english, perhaps i maked errorīs in typing.
when you can help me my email is
oliver@das-surfbrett.de
Quote Reply
Re: problems with the first start In reply to
Hello Oliver:

I'm pretty new at this too...have you checked to see if your permissions are set in your Pages directory?

its looks like they are under you link directory /links/pages ?

try resetting your permissions on the "pages" directory to chmod 777 (rwxrwxrwx)

see it that helps!
Quote Reply
thx for reply :-)
i have checked the option, for chmod 777 at the directory links/pages/...but i get the same error, but another question... i have two files in that directory background.gif and links.css perhaps is that?...i have read the installation readme but there are nothing about that i mean i understand from the readme there must only two files...is that right?
oli

------------------
Quote Reply
Again, I'm new at this....

but inresponse to your ?....yes those files should be there...however, you may have to first try and create a catagory, a link, build your pages, then view your directory...maybe that will help..

Not too many people here right now on this board...my ? still is waiting for an answer...hopefully I am able to help you.... this forum really has some wonderful people on it who try and help...I think you will be happy with it.
Quote Reply
hello thomas...thx for the reply of the reply...<gg>
yes i can add a link or category but i donīt can see it because in lins/pages/ i donīt get a view of the links or category, but the script tell me that category are build,
must the links/pages/ not have a index.htm?!?

------------------
Quote Reply
Oliver,

The permissions for links/pages should be set to 777 and the files in it should have at least 744 permissions but those are set by the server based on the permissions of the parent directory; you shouldn't have to change them yourself. Perhaps it is the links directory. Make sure it is set to 755. If that doesn't work, change it to 777.

Let us know if any of that works.
Quote Reply
o.k. i have changed the permission, wich is my startdirectory where i can see my new links? is that www.das-surfbrett.de/links/pages ? there two files in it, and i get every time forbidden error. the admin chapter works allright, i mean i can call any site, but they donīt work because i donīt can add links and then to see it
sorry for the errors in english iīm german...
Quote Reply

Quote:
is that www.das-surfbrett.de/links/pages?

Yes, change the permissions for that directory to 777 then rebuild your pages. After rebuilding, click on the Home Page link on the admin screen and see if you can get permission. Smile
Quote Reply
i have checked the permission and its allright on 777 and i can add links and i can search after i have added links...but when i will see the start site /links/pages...i get every time donīt permission :-(((...on which file will the /links/pages directory the data build? ...must there not be a html file?
perhaps the script go to another path, in which file i can add the path? only in links.cfg? my configuration of /links/pages in links.cfg is
# PATH and URL of Pages to be built. No Trailing Slash.
$build_root_path = "/home/pages/das-surfbrett.de/das-surfbrett.de/links/pages/";
$build_root_url = "http://www.das-surfbrett.de/links/pages";
many greets
oli :-)

------------------
Quote Reply
hello everyone :-)
can you send me please a list where i must install the files? i have understand the installation guide false...i think i have false installed the templates directory ...and something more...i have installed direct from the zip to my server (changed seomething, links.cfg and the chmod) i have direct the files copied in the directory from zip...
now i get only a bad request:
"Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand."
i think one more directory is false in my installation...

(hope you can read my english...<g> )
bye oli :-)

[This message has been edited by oliver (edited April 18, 1999).]