Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

NPH Build issue... New PERL may present problem!! ??

Quote Reply
NPH Build issue... New PERL may present problem!! ??
Hey guys,

Run into a new problem and are looking for verififcation.

I am an installer for Links and have been so for over a year and a half. Done it a hundred times over.

A current customer and I have run into a problem. The good ole faithful NPH build has come up as an issue again, the clients server is not running CGI Wrap, and I have set full path to the links.cfg.

Im getting the error from the get go when I go to do a build, no errors generated from Links so I know its a server not liking the NPH file. I had him email his support and they are saying that the new version of Apache is set up to execute the NPH files a little different.

I'm not sure to the validity of these statements and that is why I am here. Anyone heard anything?

Thanks

------------------
MRaburn
Raburn Network Solutions
www.raburn.net
Quote Reply
Re: NPH Build issue... New PERL may present problem!! ?? In reply to
Welp,

Guys I have figured it out.......

A couple of things actually, I'll pass ths on incase someone else has this issue.

Here is the main reason it would not work:

The index count file was not set to 777. Now sometimes depending on the server you do or do not have to worry about this file. SO I do not unless when I run nph build it gives me an error saying it doenst have permission to write to it. In this case I just go into the data diretory in the hits folder and set the CHMOD, easily fixed.

Well here is what happened that came to light.

With the NPH build file still being named 'nph-build.cgi' the script was dying and not giving me the debugging error so I did not know really why it was dying.

Well, through the grape vine I heard that now you can just name the file with the ending of '.nph' instead of '.cgi'. SO i said what the heck and tried it, low and behold the script executed and died and ACTUALLY showed me the error that was causing the problem. (the permissions on the index count file.)

Now to test the theory I went back and renamed the file to '.cgi' to see what would happen if I ran it again. Well damn it worked.

Here is what happened:

With and error in the script and it being named '.cgi' it dies without giving you an error (i.e. it just tottally quits and dies)

Well with an error and the file named '.nph' the filed dies BUT does give you the problem so you may debug.

They are saying now for a NPH file to work at its best it should end with the extension '.nph', I guess the latest version of Apache likes this.

So to sum it up. If you run into problems with your build files, try renaming it to end in '.nph' and give it a direct URL call. i.e. do not try to call it from the admin screen, just type in the address box:

yourname.com/links/admin/nph-build.nph

That should help you out. Might not benefit all, but maybe this tidbit will help you if you have problems.

Enjoy!!

------------------
MRaburn
Raburn Network Solutions
www.raburn.net