Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Links not working on Cobalt RAQ2

Quote Reply
Links not working on Cobalt RAQ2
I searched for other problems on Cobalt, and everyone seemed to get the general scripts working except for the nph ones.

I can't even get admin.cgi to run. I also tried to call other scripts (jump.cgi, search.cgi..) and all I keep getting is an Internal Server Error.

Can someone please help? Is there some special configuration on Cobalt RAQ2 that I dont know about?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Links not working on Cobalt RAQ2 In reply to
There is a FAQ in the Resource Center in the LINKS 2.0 section that addresses this problem. If you cannot find answers in the forums, check the Resource Center's FAQ and Modification sections for LINKS. If you still cannot find any answers, then post your question.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
You misread my message. I stated that I couldn't even run admin.cgi. The FAQ only states a solution to NPH files. I've installed links with no problems many times (on FreeBSD Apache) but now I've moved to a Cobalt RAQ2 Apache Server.

All the local paths/paths are setup correct in links.cfg. I think the problem has something to do with "CGIWRAP" (which I have no idea what it does)

When I try to run ADMIN.CGI or ANY CGI from Links, it returns an Internal Server Error. I don't have access to any CGI error logs. Has anyone ran into this problem before?

Help appreciated,
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Make sure that you are including the cgiwrapd directory in your PATH variables. Since you have installed LINKS many times, I don't think that I have to be more specific than that.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Sorry, I seek of a more specific description Wink

So what you're saying is to replace the path to PERL /usr/bin/perl and use the CGIWRAP path /usr/cgiwrap/cgiwrap ? FreeBSD was never this hectic with Links Smile

Thanks for all your help, so far.
More help still appreciated Smile
Quote Reply
No...in the variable PATHS...not the PERL PATHs.

Like $build_root_path.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
What would putting the CGIWRAP path in the variable paths do? Doesn't the cgi need to know where something is? (the absolute path)

I currently have the absolute path:
$build_root_path = "/home/sites/home/users/search/web/";
Are you saying you want me to substitute it with:

$build_root_path = "/usr/cgiwrap/cgiwrap";
?

Thanks,
Nich

Quote Reply
Because you need to put the physical location of your files in order to access the script. If you leave out cgiwrapd (or cgiwrap), then the scripts will not execute properly.

Anyway, I am just trying to help you.

Best of luck!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
AnthroRules, you've been a big help to me so far with your quick responses. And I appreciate it and thank you greatly.

But can you tell me what is CGIWRAPD/CGIWRAP in the first place? I'm using the absolute paths to the directories in the variables. I was just introduced to this cgiwrap thing on the Cobalt server.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Nich,

I have the same problem as you. My website is on Cobalt server.

I *did* manage to get admin.cgi and all *.cgi files to work. The only problem I'm having is with the nph-*.cgi files which will not work. I kept getting this error message, "Internal Server Error" when clicked.

I double checked all of the paths and URL all over and over and it's all correct. Still the same error message. Frown

Would be great if anyone know what was the problem is. Author of this CGI script is welcome to jump in this thread and help us out! Smile

Regards,

Tony
Quote Reply
I'm getting ready to set up with Cobalt RAQ2 and am still considering Cobalt RAQ3. Has anyone reported problems with Links there?

------------------
Blake Webster
www.webcamsearch.com
Quote Reply
Yeah, I still cannot manage to even get my CGI files to work. Links was just not made for Cobalt servers Smile

For your NPH problems, check out the resource center...it gives you modifications to your nph problems on Colbalt. I just never got to that step because I'm still trying to get the CGI files to work.

Nich
Quote Reply
Nich:
Are you having problems with all of your cgi files or just with Links?

Tony:
Did you get your problem solved?

------------------
Blake Webster
www.webcamsearch.com
Quote Reply
Yeah, I'm having problems with all CGIs in Links. Other CGI programs (not Links) are working fine.

The solution to my problem is that I'm going back to FreeBSD Apache. Perhaps some things aren't made for some servers.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Nich
Quote Reply
I've been running some tests on the Cobalt Raq2 server and experienced the same nph problems. I used the modifications from the resource center and removed the "--" at the end of the path-to-perl, which I had set, just to see if that was the problem, and everything works fine.

------------------
Blake Webster
www.webcamsearch.com
Quote Reply
Just letting you guys know that the Cobalt RAQ's suck for cgi. You can get all of Links2 to work except for the nph files. The only nph file that can be run is nph-build, but you have to do it from telnet. The RAQ will also change permissions of you Links2 files so you'll often be changing all of your permissons. RAQ's are great for an ISP wanting to do basic web hosting, but you'll run into problem after problem when you try to run even the most moderate cgi scripts let alone Links2.

Do what I did, cut your losses and get a "real" Linux server fron dn.net.

[This message has been edited by mckillen (edited March 01, 2000).]
Quote Reply
All I did was comment out the nph as per the Resource Center instructions, make sure the absolute path is correct (it's long) and all files work fine, including other cgi scripts that I tested.

------------------
Blake Webster
www.webcamsearch.com