Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Error -Admin.cgi tries to DL when I go to set Links

Quote Reply
Error -Admin.cgi tries to DL when I go to set Links
Hello I hope someone can help me.

I am on free.prohosting.com and trying to set up a copy of links 2.0. I folowed the directions in the readme, (Set me paths & permissions and all that...) Then tried to load the admin.cgi like the readme tells to, and it tries to D/L the admin.cgi file. So I D/L'ed the file and open it, gives me the folowing message:

Error including libraries: Can't locate /usr/home/jeweli/html/links/admin/db.pl in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-bsdos /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-bsdos /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at admin.cgi line 28.

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

The files DO exist, the permissions ARE set right, and the path IS set corectly!

I also checked at prohosting to make sure I knew my system path:
/usr/home/username/html/
And it still dose not work...

I have tinkered with this for two days now and I am still stuck, can anyone help me??

-Browny
Quote Reply
Re: Error -Admin.cgi tries to DL when I go to set Links In reply to
I'm not a pro or whatever but I did get admin to work on prohosting. So maybe I can help, just send me your copy of link.cfg so I can them out or by the meantime have you triied this: in your admin.cgi, where it ask to specify some important path,(just below the copyright comment stuff) give a full path to your link.cfg, thus "/usr/home/username/html/cgi-bin/links/admin/links.cfg".

I got my first part working but I still have problem,,by the way do you know the path to sendmail program on prohosting?

hope this help...
Bruce
Quote Reply
Bruce,
Thank you! I will try your idea, if it dose not work I will send you a copy of the file.

The sendmail path is:
/usr/sbin/sendmail

You should know they had to shut down the send mail, since they had such a problem with spammers... so this will be of no use to you.

You can find this out, along with just about anything else on the CGI at Prohosting off their main page, there is a link there for the unoffical FAQ. (I have spent A LOT of time reading there! Smile

-Browny
Quote Reply
Bruce wrote:
>in your admin.cgi, where it ask to specify some important path,(just below the copyright comment stuff) give a full path to your link.cfg, thus "/usr/home/username/html/cgi-bin/links/admin/links.cfg".

Uh... if I am looking at what you seam to say in the above part... you want me to edit the folowing:

*Taken from the links.cfg.txt*
# Paths and URL's to Important Stuff
# --------------------------------------------------------
# PATH and URL of Admin CGI directory. No Trailing Slash.
$db_script_path = "/usr/home/jeweli/html/links/admin";
$db_dir_url = "http://free.prohosting.com/~jeweli/cgi-bin/links/admin";

This is for the whole admin direcory, if I am reading it right... (Mind you I know jack squat about this, this script is my second I have ever tried to get work.) It *may* fix this problem, but cause more in the future... Or so I my reasoning gose...

Anyone have a clue?
-Browny
Quote Reply
No Browny, i mean you have to edit the admin.cgi file. at the very top of the script just after the copyright stuff, you'll notice "required libraries"
and "change this to full path if you have problem" , hten change it this way in case that you'd never try it: "$db_lib_path/usr/home/username/html/cgi-bin/links/admin/links.cfg";

By the way if the sendmail does'nt work, then how can I run the reste of the script at prohosting...I guess it's normal for free hosting hmmm...

Do you have any sugestion...
Quote Reply
Bruce,
Ahh! Okay. I will go try that. THANK YOU!

Mail:
Like I said, it was due to spammers abusing the system. Virtualave.com still has a working sendmail. (This is were my first script is set up.) Other than the damn pop up banners, its okay.

-Browny
Quote Reply
*Ick!*
I got the dreaded 'Internal service error' message after adding the full path in the admin script... Oh well, at least I got something new to look at. I will keep working till I feel I will pull my hair out, then come back to see if you have another idea. Smile

-Browny
Quote Reply
Okay, the internal error was caused when I typed in a extra *'* infront of the path in the admin cgi file. I fixed that and I am getting my original error.

I am starting to think prohosting hates scripts! Any more ideas?

-Browny
Quote Reply
Hey Browny, Maybe I know why it still does'nt work. I forgot to tell you that you should also do the same thing to "nph-built.cgi","nph-email.cgi","nph-verify.cgi"
and also "admin.cgi" if it's not already done. Give them all full system path to link.cfg and leave everything else as they are...Now I hope it should work...
Bruce...
Quote Reply
Why do you want to leave Virtual Ave anyway since you've had no problems there? Except for the popup (which you can easily put on the bottom of your page) the service is better than prohosting....I think
Quote Reply
Hi!

I am facing exactly the same problem, although I not with Prohost, but with Arrowweb. Did you find a solution, and what is the problem?

Cheers.
Quote Reply

Quote:
, i mean you have to edit the admin.cgi file. at the very top of the script just after the copyright stuff, you'll notice "required libraries"
and "change this to full path if you have problem"

You won't have to do that.
Note, I have installed Links literally hundreds of times over the past 3+ years and have NEVER once had to edit the paths in any files.

As long as you place the files in their proper directories, the only file you will ever have to edit is links.cfg.

--mark

------------------
Due to repeated requests for support via ICQ, I am once again offering support online.

The ONLY number I will accept requests on is #53788453. Messages sent to my other numbers will not pass through to me, as I have security settings set to ignore messages from users not on that list.

I don't know how often I will be active on this number, as it is for only when I am free to offer assistance.

Could this signature be any longer? :)
Quote Reply
Be sure to upload everything in ASCII. Do not trust auto, if using FTP.

------------------
The Web Ressource Center

Wannabe