Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Corrupted links2.zip?

Quote Reply
Corrupted links2.zip?
Hi all,
I just downloaded the Links 2.0 zip file from the web site so I could have a clean unmodified copy to work from. I extracted it using WinZip. Several files (site_html.pl, site_html_templates.pl, and links.css are the ones I've found) are garbled and look exactly like I had downloaded them in binary format. Since they are in a zip... how is that possible. Every other file in the cgi-bin directory and the admin directory looks great and uncorrupted.

What is the solution to this? Is there a problem on my end?

Thanks in advance,
Clark

Quote Reply
Re: Corrupted links2.zip? In reply to
What version of WinZip are you using??? Use 7.0!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
7.0 it is.

Anyone else download links2.zip today and NOT have those particular file corrupted? I've done it multiple time and always get the same result.

Later days...
Clark

Quote Reply
Don't know what your problem is...just downloaded it and the files are in tact.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi Clark,
I had the same problem after downloaded the zip file. After tried again(the same location), the second one works...

is Ace Frehley on this forum?
Quote Reply
I just did the whole process again this morning. Same problem. I've had no response from Gossamer Threads support so I'm not sure If they have looked at it yet.

If something was wrong with my WinZip 7.0... wouldn't it screw up ALL the ascii files? Yes? No? I'm still suspicious of the zip file. Just because every other .pl file is fine (and all the other ascii files for that matter).

Bioclef, did you save the zip file to your disk or did you open it from it's current location when you downloaded the file? I've tried both ways with the same results.

Best wishes,
Clark

Quote Reply
What program are you using to view the corrupted files?

--mark

Installation support is provided via ICQ at UIN# 53788453. I will only respond on that number.
Quote Reply
Hi Mark,

I am using Notepad. I've also viewed them in HomeSite.

Best wishes,
Clark

Sorry, I don't do ICQ...

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I am using Notepad. I've also viewed them in HomeSite.
HomeSite will definitely screw up your files. It is best to open the files in WordPad, TextPad, or EditPlus.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I've downloaded and extracted the whole thing again. I guess Notepad is the culprit here. WordPad opens it up fine. HomeSite also opens it up fine. Notepad then garbles the whole mess. So I now know where the blame lies...

In my over a year of using it, HomeSite has NEVER screwed up a file format. WordPad and Notepad on the other hand... ;-)

Best wishes,
Clark

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
In my over a year of using it, HomeSite has NEVER screwed up a file format. WordPad and Notepad on the other hand... ;-)
Well...when I was testing HomeSite about a year ago...the editor screwed up codes in files that had extensions like .pl, .cgi, .db, .cfg, etc.

Regards,

Eliot Lee