Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

403 - Forbidden

Quote Reply
403 - Forbidden
The first time I installed Links, I followed all of the instructions and got admin.cgi to work. After that I tried to password protect it using .htaccess, failed, and decided I'd try again later.

I think that I may have left the .htaccess and .htpasswd files by accident, but I can't seem to be able to find them (I'm using CuteFTP, and they have mysteriously vanished). I knew that they were still there, and I didn't know what to do about it. So I deleted everything, but the admin folder (which is where I put .htaccess and .htpasswd) stayed because it "wasn't empty," and now I can't delete it. But when I look inside it, there is nothing there. So I renamed it something meaningless and left it there.

I've re-uploaded the entire thing onto my FTP server, set the permissions and everything else, but it still doesn't work. I'm guessing that the problem is those two files.

Meanwhile, whenever I try to go to admin.cgi I get 403 - Forbidden.

I wasn't sure whether I should ask my question here, or whether to go find a CuteFTP forum, but the problem seems to be a little bit of both, so I'm sorry if this question doesn't belong here.

I'd really appreciate any help Unimpressed

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [anya chen] 403 - Forbidden In reply to
I think what is happening is that your .htpasswd and .htaccess files are being treated as special "hidden" files. I'm not familiar with CuteFTP so please bear with me, but try and find a "show hidden files" option in your program. That may allow you to find and remove the dotfiles. Otherwise, talk to your system administrator, they will certainly be able to get fix things for you.

If you ever wanted to get links' admin working and protected again, you should talk to your admin about that as well. They would be the best resource for your particular server installation.

Cheers :)
Quote Reply
Re: [anya chen] 403 - Forbidden In reply to
You need to use a new command for CuteFTP. Try;

DELE .htaccess

and

DELE .htpasswd

You will obviously need to do this when in the folder where these files should be present. I'm not definate on how to run special commands, as I uise CuteFTP Pro, which uses a different system.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] 403 - Forbidden In reply to
Thanks for your helps, guys. I've finally got the directory password-protected (with the help of MyCgiScripts' Password Protect v1.0), but it seems like for every thing I fix, something else comes up...

Oh well. Thanks again. Smile