Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Haunting 403 error

Quote Reply
Haunting 403 error
Hi Gang,
I could really use your help. I'm just about pathed & permissioned out.

From the first phase of testing (The Admin Page) I keep getting a HTTP 403 error. I'm pretty sure it is a silly path problem .. but I'll be darn if I can come up with the right one.

My full server path is
/home/usr130/html/links/admin

but with the last cgi/perl script I installed, it would only work with a path .. like /links/html

I even tried several other combos like
../whatever and ../../whatever

Site URL & Page in question:
http://216.25.49.130/links/admin/index.html also saved my current links.cfg as links.txt in same location for show and tell.

I would greatly appericate any help.

Thanks,
J Wells

[This message has been edited by J Wells (edited December 13, 1998).]

[This message has been edited by J Wells (edited December 13, 1998).]
Quote Reply
Re: Haunting 403 error In reply to
It would really help if you could leave the URL of your site along with the specific pages that are giving you problems.
Quote Reply
Appended URL to above msg. I guess I was a bit more frazzled than I realizied to forget the URL :-)
Quote Reply
Hey,
Have you made sure ALL admin files are chmoded to 777? What is the exact error message you are getting? (check server log)

------------------
Kids Online
"A place for kids on the net"
www.kids-online.com
Quote Reply
Thanks, I have everything 777ed. I figured it was easier to have everything CHMODed to 777 until I can sort this out.

Though you are right, it appears to be a permission issue, since 403 is an HTTP Forbidden error.

I tend to believe it is more of a path problem, since changes to the path info return the same error. I really think I'm just not thinking right .. in terms of paths.

thanks
Quote Reply
This is a guess but try this, what the heck...

take the '/home' out of your path.

Mike

Quote Reply
Thanks Tangman,

Yeppers that was my same thought.

I started off with the Server Path:

/home/usr130/html/links/admin

and then removed one level at a time,
until I was at /links/admin

I did this for:
$db_script_path
$build_root_path

and even tried doing it all over again, by
making the same changes in add.cgi and admin.cgi .. since I'm using "add" as my first test.

I know this is fairly easy stuff .. but this one has really snagged me.

open for sugestions gang

and thanks for those who have submitted ideas :-)

Quote Reply
The only way to get the message that you're getting is because you didn't chmod the files to their correct setting. The only other thing could be that you are not allowd to execute cgi files outside of a cgi-bin directory.
Quote Reply
Thanks, Trekker

My hostman tells me I can run CGI's from anywhere, so I just assumed it was something I was doing wrong.

Is there a SIMPLE way to test ... if I can run CGI's from anywhere? Besides the way I am currently doing it.

thanks again