Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Install went fine but...

Quote Reply
Install went fine but...
the instructions were sparse but adequate for installation. still not quite sure where to put the pages directory but will learn when I use the build option. Not a unix person. I just look at the error log and follow the written instructions. and thanks for the help thru this message board.

Now to build the thing. Once again the instructions are sparse -- three pages. so it's off to the message boards.

Looks like a really great product -- in the raw. Maybe a little more documentation with the next release?

Well, thank goodness for these boards.

Quote Reply
Re: Install went fine but... In reply to
In Reply To:
the instructions were sparse but adequate for installation. still not quite sure where to put the pages directory but will learn when I use the build option. Not a unix person. I just look at the error log and follow the written instructions. and thanks for the help thru this message board.
The README file is relatively self-explanatory with regards to directory structure...but there is a FAQ in the Resource Center that provides a complete list of directory and file permissions you should use.

In Reply To:
Maybe a little more documentation with the next release?
LOL! Hate to tell you this, but the flat file version of Links (Links 2.0*) is low on the project list for Gossamer Threads. There has only been one small upgrade in the past 18 months.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks. I had downloaded the permissions file. And my host said it was not a good idea to put image files in cgi-bin directory ( does the "bin" stand for binary?.?.? ) but put them in the public directory.

I did follow the readme but it does have some large gaps. And not to belabor the point but there is contradictory info on the directory structure. In step 1 it says to create a links directory off the cgi-bin directory. Then in step 4 it describes a path/url using links/cgi-bin. As a someone who is clueless, I just follow the instructions -- literally. I've installed several cgi scripts and they all require modification and path/url setup.

It took me a couple of hours to get this one up and running but most of the time was spent trying to find the answers to questions. And seems like folks have the same questions and you guys provide the same answers. Maybe we should compile it into some documents and and post them somewhere for all to read. And download when needed.

So if Gossamer doesn't do much in the way of support and upgrades, do they really expect folks to fork over the $150 for the program? Just a thought.

But here's a good question...should I use links 2 or just take the plunge to links sql? Gossamer implies the changeover is easy. I know that my server has mysql installed on it. I know that I want to make some modifications ( I want to add multiple reviews/comments to a particular link, limit links, and modify them template look ). I've seen the mods posted so I could probably do the cut and paste myself - I have a little programming background but not too much cgi ). But I think I would rather spend the time on my website instead of programming.

So. Links 2 or Links SQL?

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
And my host said it was not a good idea to put image files in cgi-bin directory
It doesn't make sense to put them there anyway!

In Reply To:
does the "bin" stand for binary?.?.?
At one time I think it may have, but it doesn't now. I generally think of the "bin" as the central location of all my Perl scripts.

In Reply To:
Maybe we should compile it into some documents and and post them somewhere for all to read. And download when needed.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/p/102114/
When you find the time, start typing. I personally don't have the time to do it myself anymore.

In Reply To:
So if Gossamer doesn't do much in the way of support and upgrades, do they really expect folks to fork over the $150 for the program? Just a thought.
You get full support with a paid liscense. Although Links 2.0 is not formally documented, there have been about 50,000 posts over the past few years so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding an answers to most questions.

In Reply To:
But here's a good question...should I use links 2 or just take the plunge to links sql? Gossamer implies the changeover is easy. I know that my server has mysql installed on it. I know that I want to make some modifications ( I want to add multiple reviews/comments to a particular link, limit links, and modify them template look ). I've seen the mods posted so I could probably do the cut and paste myself - I have a little programming background but not too much cgi ). But I think I would rather spend the time on my website instead of programming.
You should spend some time getting to know Links 2.0 and learning Perl. Many things function the same way between the two products (ie, the templates system). When you feel you've advanced from 'novice' to 'intermediate' (or even 'advanced'), then install MySQLman and get to know SQL. When you feel confident enough with SQL queries, then go ahead and purchase Links SQL.

Time spent learning Perl and SQL queries will be very beneficial as you'll have to rewrite any modifications that interact with the database.

Happy Coding,

--Drew
http://www.FindingHim.com