Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Import link database?

Quote Reply
Import link database?
I was told that links will easily import and export its entire links database.

I have a large database of links with descriptions, divided by categories and sub-categories, which I have been working on for many months. The program I have it stored in will export the data as tab delimited text.

I do not see an import/export feature in the online control panel, so I am making a leap here and assuming that maybe I can do what I want by directly editing the "Links" database file? I assume that the "Links" database file also uses tab delimited text? I am hoping I can import with my descriptions, categories and sub-categories in tact.

If I have to re-do all this manually it will be a monumental job.
Can anyone give me a clue how to import my database of links?

Thanks!!!
-V
Quote Reply
Re: Import link database? In reply to
Hi again,
I found the bulkload mod on the Gossamer Threads site.
The docs say that you must have the all the data that the links program expects to find and saved in the right order etc.
My links database is saved as:

Title
URL
Description

I do not have dates, contact names or contact Email addresses. Does this mean I can't use this mod?

Actually the info I currently have in my database is all the info I really want displayed with my links.
I do not want the date, number of hits, ratings etc displayed in my listings and was wondering if they can be customized out of the display.

Any thoughts on this as well as how to import my database? Does each entry really have to have email and contact info?

Thanks
-V

[This message has been edited by V Silly (edited October 09, 1999).]