Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

I can only build in telnet

Quote Reply
I can only build in telnet
Hello,
Something odd is happening for me, and I was wondering if it was happening to any of you guys. Whenever I try to build my pages through the admin control panel, I get an internal error on the server. When i build the pages through telnet though, everything works fine... any suggestions on why this is happening?

------------------
Sincerely,
Blair Ireland
bireland@visuart-design.com
www.thescripts.com

[This message has been edited by bireland (edited March 19, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: I can only build in telnet In reply to
A usual reason the a script will work in telnet and not from a web page is permissions. I will bet if you recheck your execution permissions you will find they are turned off.

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Some servers do not allow nph files to be run from the web.

Also, once you've build using telnet, the ownership will be to your own username, instead of NOBODY or WEB, so you will most likely have trouble building from the web (permissions problems).

--mark
Quote Reply
Hi,

My server is setup under cgiwrap and needs to have nph files called from nph-cgi-bin, which would have meant moving the three files out to a different directory and caused a lot more grief playing with the links.cfg, admin.cgi, admin_html.pl, etc....long list!

Instead what I did was go through the nph files...and commented certain portions that use the nph headers and forced the script to use the regular html headers.

If you define $use_html = 1 AND comment out $nph++ you should be able to walk around your problem. You'll need to do this in all three nph files.

I may be wrong about what it is actually doing but it did work for me.

I hope this helps.

Rod
Quote Reply
Thanks everyone for your help....

I'll try out your ideas

------------------
Sincerely,
Blair Ireland
bireland@visuart-design.com
www.thescripts.com

Quote Reply
One thing you can do if you're having trouble with any NPH script is to comment out the:

print "HTTP/1.0 200 OK\n";

line in all three nph- scripts.

Good luck.

------------------
Sincerely,

Jason C. Levine
http://members.aol.com/jason1178/