Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Backup exists for today? Skipping....

Quote Reply
Backup exists for today? Skipping....
Hi,
I've got Links 2 running on Linux/Apache/1.3.12 and it's running like the devil. I'm impressed so far.
Only one minor peeve, which can become a major one while filling the application with loads of links.

When i activate 'build' all it says:
Backing up database . . .
Backup exists for today.. Skipping
Done.

Building URL Index . . .
Done.
The script goes on with building, finishes without error messages, and everything works. If a build staggered if congratulates me with: Your site is now up to date!
Fine, but why does it skip building the back-up?
Path to the backup directory is cgi-bin/links/admin/backup, cgi-bin is 755, /links, /admin and /backup are 777. Everything works, including sendmail and everything else, but no back-ups, and thats makes me a little bit nervous. I thought maybe path to backup was wrong, so i made an extra /backup (777) within the data-directory, just to be sure, same problem.

What's more: today in Holland is 11-Dec-2001, and in the /backup this morning were three files:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 dossiers kranten 0 Dec 10 09:44 10-Dec-2001.category.db
-rwxrwxrwx 1 dossiers kranten 0 Dec 10 09:44 10-Dec-2001.email.db
-rwxrwxrwx 1 dossiers kranten 0 Dec 10 09:44 10-Dec-2001.links.db
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dossiers kranten 20 Dec 9 16:15 index.html

When i tried to build this morning i got an error message:

Error Message : Unable to copy links backup. Reason: No such file or directory

When ir renamed those files to 11-Dec-2001.category.db and so on, i got the skip message, and when the build is ready, those files remain empty: filesize zero.

What have i done wrong? A path, or maybe a date-setting. I've tested dirty and chmoded all directories to 777, temporary, results the same.

I am i nice guy, so i did pay the 150 bucks earlier this week, and i'm sure the script is worth more than that. It's gonna be a very useful tool for our newspaper website, but i hate living without backups.

Any clues?

Kind regards, Leon
Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [leon krijnen] Backup exists for today? Skipping.... In reply to
Hi Leon,

make sure your links.db is set to 666 and your backup and data folders (including rates and hits) to 777.
Post deleted by leon krijnen In reply to
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] Backup exists for today? Skipping.... In reply to
Got it...

I'm a bloody idiot: typing error in a path in links.cfg
Didn't think of that, as i used extended search and replacing through the files for all the paths, and the rest was just working fine. Must have hit a key during saving the files in TexTPaD...
Everything's working fine now, including the back-up.
Beautiful application!
A shamed Leon..