Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

how to ensure SE spidering

Quote Reply
how to ensure SE spidering
I installed Links 2 some time ago. I set up some of the permissions to numbers between 1 to 7. other permissions were left as the default. does the permissions (or default) affect how the Search Engines spider your site? I want to get the 500 or so links that I have in the link list spidered by the search engines. Also, will I get spidered even though the Links2 assigns each URL a different URL (for example links 2 assigns a URL like the following: http://www.your-url-listed-here.com/cgi-bin/links/jump.cgi?ID=200). If the SE spider the links will they show up in the SE as the original URL or as the one links2 assigned?

Quote Reply
Re: how to ensure SE spidering In reply to
The search engine will index your pages, thus the jump.cgi script is what will be linked.

If you go to Google.com and type in jump.cgi, you'll see what I mean.

I am not sure what you mean by "permissions". If you provide more details, may be we can help you.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
by permissions I meant the chmod settings. do any of them prevent the SE from indexing the links?

Quote Reply
Well, if you set your scripts or files to 700, then they will only be accessible via telnet logged in as the admin of the account. Files set to this permission are not world-wide readable, meaning that they are inaccessible via the web browser. I use this permission for shell files that only need to be accessed via the CRON DAEMON and myself via telnet.

If your files are set to world-wide readable (666) like your .shtml pages, then you will be fine. Of course, all CGI scripts need to be set to 777.

Other than that, permissions are not the factor in being indexed....

I would recommend visiting the following forum for more information on search engines:

http://www.searchengineforums.com

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
ok. thanks dude.