Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Sudden Time Out Problem

Quote Reply
Sudden Time Out Problem
We've been using Build-All successfully for some time now and all of a sudden it doesn't work. It is timing out in the same spot in the same category yet nothing we can tell has changed. The only thing we were doing was some format changes to the templates. We also tried running nph-build.cgi via telnet but we get an error that tells us it can't read index.shtml in the main pages directory. We've never had this problem before. Any ideas? (what other information would we need to get you here to help).

Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Time Out Problem In reply to
In Reply To:
some format changes to the templates.
Would you please be more specific??? What changes?

In Reply To:
We also tried running nph-build.cgi via telnet but we get an error that tells us it can't read index.shtml in the main pages directory.
What is the permission of your main directory??

In Reply To:
Any ideas?
1) Permissions are not holding for your links.db file and/or the main directory.
2) The changes you made in your templates could have adverse effects on the building process.
3) Your hosting company has changed permissions in your account.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Changes we made to the templates only involved HTML tag changes. We changed none of the Links specific tags.

Directory permissions for the main directory are 777

I'm not sure what you mean by permissions are not holding for links.db. Why would it run through the first half of our categories then suddenly time out on one category and in the same place each time both through the browser and via telnet?

I spoke to the server admin and they hadn't changed anything.

Richard Bilger, Publisher
MERGInet Medical Resources
http://www.MERGInet.com
Quote Reply
Well...I mean that links.db with the default codes (out-of-the-box) tend to change permissions of the links.db to 644, which causes problems in building directories.

Welp...here are some more questions....(Remember I am only trying to help you...and without seeing your admin.cgi script or your build output...I have NO CLUE what is wrong with your script!)

1) Which Category stops your build?
2) How many Categories do you have?
3) How many links do you have in that Category that stops your build?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
OK, we have 21 categories; 8 subcategories; 1516 total links. The build stops on category 10 which has the most links -- 626. We plan on tripling the number of links over the next 30 days when we get this to work. Hopefully this won't be a problem.

Is there a change that I need to make to links.db to keep it from changing permissions? Do you want access to see our admin.cgi and build output? Contact me offline to arrange this.

Appreciate your help.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
The build stops on category 10 which has the most links -- 626.
Way too many links in one category...split the category up and modify your links to go into these new categories.

Let's see...hmmmm...

1,516 X 3 = ca 4,500 Links....

Say hello to LINKS SQL. Links 2.0 can only hold up to 5,000 links with the default configurations (meaning that you have not added new fields and increased field max. sizes).

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I know NOTHING about SQL. Anyone out there that can help us set it up? Obviously we need to talk with our server to get an SQL account??? We will pay for the assistance.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone out there that can help us set it up?
The better thing to do is contact one of the LINKS SQL INSTALLERS, which are listed in the Resource Center in the LINKS SQL section.

Regards,

Eliot Lee