Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Mailing link owners without duplicate check problem!

Quote Reply
Mailing link owners without duplicate check problem!
Hi all,

I posted this problem back in June on the customization fourm, but no effective solution came, so I'm posting it here in the hope someone might know an effective solution. Here's my problem:

I have more then 170 links in my database and once every three months I send an email to all the linkowners to check their site information. However, one person can have serveral links in the database and I want this person to be send the information of all the links instead of just the first link which comes up with his or her email address. Alex already told me to comment out the line:

Code:
($seen{$address}++) and (print qq~Already mailed to: $address $unsub!\n~ and next);

in nph-email.cgi

so I did (#($seen{$address}++) and (print qq~Already mailed to: $address $unsub!\n~ and next);). The result was I still got the message:

"already mailed to:"

So that didn't work.

I have tried to delete the entire line and see what came up, but the result was the same as above. I've checked all the other scripts to see if there's anything in there which might cause this to keep appearing, but I can't find anything which seems to be causing this problem.

The result is that I have to send an email for each link that has the same owner. With a database of a little less then 200 links this still can be done, although I really don't like it. It takes up more time then I'd like. But since my database is slowly growing, I'd like to have a solution before I have to send each link an email resulting in sending more then 100 emails being sent out seperately.

Is there someone who can help me with this?

Regards,

Ilse
Quote Reply
Re: [angelscharmedsla] Mailing link owners without duplicate check problem! In reply to
Unsure Still no solution......
Quote Reply
Re: [angelscharmedsla] Mailing link owners without duplicate check problem! In reply to
I have been thinking..... Is it solution to put in the subjectline the ID ( <%ID%>)? Is this being replaced with the actual ID of the site and would it be send in this case indeed to each linkowner instead of all the emails in the database?

Regards,

Ilse
Quote Reply
Solution found!: Mailing link owners without duplicate check problem! In reply to
Well, my last suggestion didn't help off course, but I finally figured what was wrong.

Not only do you have to comment out:

Code:
($seen{$address}++) and (print qq~Already mailed to: $address $unsub!\n~ and next);

But you also have to comment out:

Code:
($seen{$data[$db_contact_email]}++) and (print qq~<a href="$href" target="_blank">$data[$db_key_pos]</a> - Already mailed to: '$data[$db_contact_email]'!\n~ and next);

and then the linkowners will get the email for every link they have in the system. A warning for all you webmasters oiut there:

Only do this when you want to send the link information of every link to the linkowners on a regularly basis, like I do every three months. Otherwise it's not usefull and you give the linkowners too many emails!

regards,

Ilse