Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Site hacked

Quote Reply
Site hacked
Firstly can I thank the ********** who hacked my site.

Can I recommend that everybody puts a password facility on their admin area.

BUT MAINLY can someone tell me how to use the backup files to fix the site back to how it should be, my own computer crashed recently and I lost my own hard drive backup

Silly stupid and embarrased

DC
Quote Reply
Re: Site hacked In reply to
Sorry to hear that. You should have password protected your admin page. As for your question of the backup files. I take links.db backup as an example.

The name of the file will be like this, 30-Jul-1999.links.db with the date of the backup was made in front of the file. Just delete everything and leave the file with links.db as the filename. Then you bring it to the data directory and rebuild. Your data will be recovered right after that. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
I would also recommend putting your files on a floppy disk as well. Yes, it may take a few minutes of time but it is well worth it in the long run. Once you get all of your files on a disk, you will just need to replace the basic ones that you have updated.

Chet
Smile

------------------
Get a sponsor for your website. Over 300 to choose from.
www.websitesponsors.com
Quote Reply
Or you can talk to Widgetz about him giving you the rebuild db code he has right on his admin interface.

------------------
------------------------------------------
Lavon Russell
LookHard! Search
http://www.lh.yi.org
webmaster@lh.yi.org
Quote Reply
Thanks the backup worked a treat all up and running again.

However be warned the hacker came back prior to me passwording the folders

If the hacker is reading I do not find your sense of humour funny, I have wasted valuable time when I could have been doing better things

Thanks to everybody else though

DC