Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Searching for every keyword

Quote Reply
Searching for every keyword
Hi,

I've asked a similar question before, but never really got the right answer....anyway, does anyone know how to get Links to search all the search fields that I have selected in my array and to actually match the searched keywords exactly? So if I have one word in the title 'shopping' and one word in the description 'cd', but both of these words do not appear in both of these fields...but it should still pull up the results. Thanks for any input.
Quote Reply
Re: Searching for every keyword In reply to
Have you tried any of my previous suggestions?

1) Change the bool options in the search forms.

2) Use the Exact Word Match Mod located in the Modifcation Forum.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Eliot,

Yes, I did try your suggestions..changing to OR. That still does not help when someone is wanting to pull exact words. I did find this thread http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/003227.html
but as you can see, you never gave the information. I did read over a few other threads also, regarding exact term matching, however these were not really relevant.
Quote Reply
There is a long Thread that is entitled something like More Relevant Searches in the Modification Forum, and in that Thread there are codes for Exact Word Matches.

The author actually posted codes for the exact word match.

However, I cannot release codes for my Relevancy Search.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
Yeah...that's the thread I read and it's not what I'm looking for. Could you tell me who helped you with your relevancy search, so that I may ask them?
Quote Reply
The programmer is not associated in any capacity to Gossamer Threads and is not even a LINKS user.

So, therefore...no, I cannot tell you who did it...And the relevancy search will not solve your problem...but I really DO THINK THAT THE EXACT WORD MATCH WILL! HAVE YOU EVEN TRIED INSTALLING THE CODES!?? AS MANY OTHER LINKS USERS...you probably haven't...

* read the description...not for me, so I won't even try the codes *
- Typical LINKS User

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Dude, I don't appreciate you telling me what I did or didn't try! I don't typically like to waste peoples time, and if there was a way to figure it out myself I would have not even posted a question on this HELP forum. Not to mention the problem does not only exist on my site...it happens on every other site I tested, with the exception of yours. I appreciate you responding, however the problem doesn't have to do with any of your responses! Did you fully Read my question? You obviously read and responded to my other post
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m11/HTML/001674.html
(that's why you asked if I tried your other suggestions)! And as I said in the other post, your site is the only site that seems to work....most likely because of your relevancy search. I did say the demo worked here, but after checking again I was wrong, it does not work either. The problem that is happening is that it is not returning results from keywords that are found on different fields......yes it will search every field, but it will not pull up results for a different keyword in a different field. Here is an example of what I mean. BTW - This will happen with any two fields that you choose to use/test!

Ok..I have setup two additional fields
1) City
2) State

I would like to find information in San Diego, California so I will enter those as keywords using the OR method. It will pull up 898 results....2 of them being located in San Diego, California the other 298 are located in Los Angeles, California. Is this a relevant search? Well, if I was looking for information in all of California, then yes, however I'm only looking for information in San Diego so No it's not a relevant search! Now I try a search with the same keywords, however I use the AND search option...and I get 0 results?? Now why would I get 0 results, if there are two related sites? As, I have been trying to say....yes, Links will search all the fields, but unless all the keywords are in one field it will not pull up an exact match.

Eliot, if your truly here to help people, then I would suggest that you change your ways slightly! I simply asked you for a name/person who helped you with yours...my only intention was to contact this person and see if he/she would be interested in develping the same thing he did for you and of course I would pay him for his time! So whatever man.
Quote Reply
Sorry he does not want to be contacted.

Best of luck!

Smile

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Eliot,

Pertaining to this thread http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m12/HTML/000996.html
I don't really see how you can call it redundant?? This is exactly what I am trying to do, but only with LINKS. (Search between fields and pull exact matches) Anyway you act as if you have never had questions or problems with the script! I can pull up several threads where you have asked questions and were not able to figure out what the problem was without assistance from others. I am not claiming or have ever claimed to be a programmer, and that is why I have come to this board to seek help. Although it won't affect me, you seem to want to discourage people from asking for help....yes I agree that one should search the search the forum and try things on their own, but this isn't a question like, how do I add a field----that seem to get answered hundreds of times, mind you without any problems by others. As far as finding the other thread http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/002302.html
.....yes I did find it, and yes I did try it and it didn't work for what I am trying to do! So that is the reason I posted another question. If you feel like helping great...if not then hopefully someone else responds.

BTW- Do you know what my question is? All I am trying to do is search between fields and pull exact matches.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Yes...I know what your question is and I have tried to provide you possible solutions.

And the second Thread you posted should provide you a good solution. All you have to do is add a hidden field for the Exact Word Match in your search boxes outside of the Advanced Search Form, like the following:

Code:
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="exact" VALUE="yes">

And let's clarify one of your points...I always searched the forum before posting questions, and I continue to do that. Also, when I have asked for assistance, I have been very grateful and appreciative for support people have provided. (If you notice I have always thanked people for their responses, and also asked for people to post relevant Threads if it had been posted before.) AND I HAVE POSTED MANY THREADS TO PUBLICLY THANK MOD AUTHORS FOR THEIR TIME AND EFFORT!!!!!! Shall I go on!

Frown

Welp, hope you find the solution.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------