Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

nph-build freezes every time

Quote Reply
nph-build freezes every time
I know there have been quite a few posts about nph-build but I think I've read them all and I can't find a solution to my problem. I've used the script for a month and have 1200 links, now all of a sudden build/staggered/auto freeze in the middle of the building process. Many people have posted the solution of using telnet or making each category less than 50 links to stop the process timing out. I'm not able to use telnet and I've reduced the galleries to having no more than 40 links each and it still freezes. At first I reduced the category size by spreading the links over multiple versions of the same category so the 160 links in CAT became CAT (40 links) , CAT2 (40 links) etc. But when I ran build it would come up with the unknown category error for the CAT2 category. Now I've moved the extra links into sub categories of the first so I have CAT/ (40 links) , CAT/2/ (40 links) etc and it still freezes when it tries to run the sub categories. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it as I'm stuck.

Quote Reply
Re: nph-build freezes every time In reply to
1) What is the SIZE of your links.db?

If it is larger than 1.0 MG, then that definitely will cause timeout problems.

2) How many categories do you have? What is the size of the categories.db file?

Again, if the file is larger than 1.0 MG and if you have a lot of categories (like more than 500 categories), then that will also cause timeout problems.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
my links.db file is 166KB and contains 1200 links
the categories.db file is 985 bytes and contains 47 categories with no more than 40 links each

Quote Reply
What happens when you use Build All???

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
It starts to build the pages and then this:

Done

Building Category Pages . . .
Building Category: cats
Subcategories: 0
Links: 8
Directory: /home/domainnamecom/public/links/cats
Filename : /home/domainnamecom/public/links/cats/index.html

Building Category: dogs
Subcategories: 0
Links: 20
Directory: /home/domainnamecom/public/links/dogs
Filename : /home/domainnamecom/public/links/dogs/index.html
Subpage : /home/domainnamecom/public/links/dogs/more2.html

Building Category: mice
Subcategories: 2
Links: 40
Directory: /home/domainnamecom/public/links/mice
Filename : /home/domainnamecom/public/links/mice/index.html
Subpage : /home/domainnamecom/public/links/mice/more2.html
Subpage : /home/domainnamecom/public/links/mice/more3.html
Subpage : /home/domainnamecom/public/links/mice/more4.html

Quote Reply
And what modifications/code hacks have you added recently that would affect this problem?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I use the script to run an image gallery. So I have the Name field as the thumbnail then I edited the templates to include IMG tags to make them appear. I used a mod to get two columns of links instead of one. I think that's it. I had the script running with those modifications for nearly a month without problems. Since the build started to freeze I've reinstalled the script from scratch with no mods/hacks and it still freezes once I add the Data files back in.

Quote Reply
have you tried using the default version of the nph-build.cgi? Or have you tried to simply remove the mod codes?

Also, if you have edited the .def files and added fields that are dependent on a MOD you've installed, then you will also have to revert back to older .def files and also older .db files.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
As I couldn't remember which mods I installed removing them would have been a pain so I just downloaded the whole script again and used that. The MODs I installed didn't affect my .db content just the way it's viewed so not having them installed shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Reply
Well, it seems that you have not properly added the two most recent MODS you've already mentioned. I would carefully COMPARE the MOD instructions/codes with codes in your scripts.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I don't think the problem is associated with the MOD's I had installed because build didn't work with them and now it doesn't work without them. The MOD's didn't affect the way data was entered into the.db files just the way it was displayed. Therefore I should be able to remove the MOD's without effecting the links script.

I've included a line from the links.db file. Can you see any obvious mistakes.

24|http://www.mysite.com/thumbs/00024.gif|http://www.mysite.com/images/00024.jpg|10-Feb-2001|miscellaneous||1|email@address.com|66|No|No|0|0|No

Thanks for taking an interest.

Quote Reply
Uh..let's see...you stated that Links 2.0 was running just fine before adding the Mods and you stated before that the 2 Column Link Mod probably is the problem, which I agree!

Thus, you have NOT installed the Mods properly, which is causing a problem with your build process.

I don't think it is wise to disagree with someone who has been working with this application for close to four years.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Sorry I think I've said something which has given you the wrong idea about the problem. I'll recap.
I installed the script in early February and straight away installed the MODs that I used. It all worked fine with me adding links every couple of days until a few weeks ago when I got to 1200 links. Then suddenly the build stopped working properly. I tried reinstalling the script from scratch without any MOD's or hacks and it worked fine till I added the old Data files. I then got the same errors that I had before every time I ran build.

Quote Reply
Well have you tried building from telnet?

Paul
Installations:http://wiredon.net/gt/
Support: http://wiredon.net/forum/

Quote Reply
I currently don't have telnet access. I'm moving to a dedicated server in the next couple of weeks and I think I'll have telnet access then. I have no experience with telnet and barely know what it is. I guess I'll have to learn fast. Do you think running the build script by telnet would make a difference?

Quote Reply
Yes it should be free from timeouts and run nph-build.cgi much more efficiently.

In Reply To:
I'm moving to a dedicated server in the next couple of weeks and I think I'll have telnet access then.
Oh oh, you better check that out - you really need a telnet server on a dedicated server, IMHO.

Paul
Installations:http://wiredon.net/gt/
Support: http://wiredon.net/forum/

Quote Reply
Thanks I'll double check that it has telnet access.

Should the script really be timing out with only 1200 links in the .db . From reading other forum discussions it seems like it should be able to handle more. Does the time out time depend on the server. For example could the server my site is currently on have a shorter time out than the average? I have no idea what I'm talking about I'm just guessing because I'm so desperate to get this script running again.

Quote Reply
I have a 11.000 links, my links.db has a 3MBytes
And 640 categories

Anytime the script freeze when is building.

Quote Reply
You have WAY too many links for LINKS 2.0 (flat file version) to handle. Most virtual accounts can only handle up to 1.0 MGS of disk space...thus, you NEED to upgrade to LINKS SQL ASAP!

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
Hello!
When i run nph-build.cgi for Telnet, is not stop ?
how can i run nph-build.cgi for Telnet ?

thanks!