Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Please Check Your Sites Search

Quote Reply
Please Check Your Sites Search
Hi,

I previously posted a message
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m11/HTML/001674.html
in regards to a problem (I thought I only had) with my search function. I'm starting a new thread because this issue seems to exist with several other Links users sites that I have been checking. Ok, here is what is happening.....I should say what is NOT happening:

Here is an example link/listing

1) CD Now --- (this is the title)
Online shopping for all types of music. ---(this is the description)

Now do a search on 'cd shopping'. Be sure to do a search with AND, because if you do a search with OR, the link will appear, however it is not matching both terms only one. On mine and several (8 or more) other sites I have checked, I come up with no search results......obviously using relative keywords to each site. Please try your own site by taking one word from the title and one word from the description and see what you come up with. Make sure that both words DO NOT appear in the description or title. I did find two sites that did show results- 1) the demo used here and also on Eliot's site, but I'm pretty sure his search.cgi script is very customized. Anyway, if anyone wants to try this out and let me know how it turns out, that would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Check Your Sites Search In reply to
My site is very "customized". But I am using the bool=or option in all the search forms except for the advanced search form. The problem I had with the defauled bool=and option is that typically NO or few results showed up when people conducted searches.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Please Check Your Sites Search In reply to
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking I might do also. (change the OR as the default) You would think that it would search both fields and give you results with AND though....I mean your going to get more accurate results that way, wouldn't you think? After rechecking the demo here....I was wrong it does not work either. However yours does, using advanced with AND, so you must have changed something in a good way! Well, thanks for the response....it doesn't really look like anyone else is too concerned with it.