Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links vs. Indexfinger Pro

Quote Reply
Links vs. Indexfinger Pro
I've been looking at the commercial info for both IF Pro & Links, but I still haven't figured out some things. I'd love to be able to *really* compare the products, but IF Pro won't give evaluation copies, even if you ask nicely...

Anyone of you has experience with IF Pro? Please share... some source code to look at would be great too...

I'm building a commercial site and need the following features:

1) Paying website get top entries (e.g. goto.com)
2) Ad targetting by cat.

Regards
Francsi Dierick
Quote Reply
Re: Links vs. Indexfinger Pro In reply to
Check out this thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m11/HTML/000050.html
Quote Reply
In case you don't have the patience to read through the thread:

Quote:
An IndexFinger customer came to me wanting to try Links because of poor performance. Trouble was, he needed to convert his files over to Links format.

I created the script, did the conversion, and handed off the new database. The results were pretty incredible! With IndexFinger, his 4,000 link database:

- Took 2.5 MB of disk space.
- Required 6,500+ data files.
- Took 4 hours to build all the categories.
- Took 10-15 minutes to perform a search.

Once converted to Links:
- Took 1.2 MB of disk space.
- Required 4 data files.
- Took 10 minutes to build.
- Took 8-12 seconds to search.
Quote Reply
Yeow! Given that I wouldn't call what IF was doing "performance" Smile
Quote Reply
We own fully registered copies of both Index Finger (latest version - 4.09) and Links 2.0

To be fair, Index Finger (later versions) greatly reduced the number of data files, which speeded things up considerably. It is now very fast indeed. We cannot say Index Finger 4.09 is slower than Links 2.0. We still keep a working copy.

But we prefer using Links 2.0 because we think it is more robust, more configurable, and the support team is (in our opinion) much more friendly, polite and helpful.

We paid twice as much for Links, but it was worth every cent.

------------------
HumorLinks Comedy Megasite, Search Engine, Humor DVD and Video Store

http://humorlinks.com/

humorlinks@humorlinks.com
Quote Reply
humorlinks,

Just wondering: how many links do you have in your database? Alex's results were from a 4,000-link database. From those results, the difference is quite drastic.
Quote Reply
t_dog,

We only put in 232 links out of our 1,400 because at that point we decided to use Links 2.0 exclusively, for the reasons stated above.

The point we were trying to make is that when you spoke of thousands of data files, you must have been talking about an earlier version of Index Finger. They have since simplified the data into just a few files - same as Links 2.0.

A couple of more points: - we found the search function in Links 2.0 to be more sophisticated than in IF Pro's; and IF's "cool" page is not automatic. You have to select cool sites manually.

We were also disappointed with IF's support forum, which seemed to us to be peppered with what we can only describe as ultra-defensive, uptight, sarcastic and sometimes downright rude exchanges. We never made any postings to it, because we were afraid of getting our heads snapped off.

------------------
HumorLinks Comedy Megasite, Search Engine, Humor DVD and Video Store

http://humorlinks.com/

humorlinks@humorlinks.com
Quote Reply
humorlinks,

Quote:
The point we were trying to make is that when you spoke of thousands of data files, you must have been talking about an earlier version of Index Finger. They have since simplified the data into just a few files - same as Links 2.0.

Thanks for the info. I really don't know much about IF.

I hope I didn't come across as too agressive. I just get really "protective" when people start talking about Links. Smile